Papgust's GMAT SENTENCE CORRECTION FLASHCARDS directory

This topic has expert replies
Community Manager
Followed by:252 members
Hello folks,

I have a huge flashcards book exclusively for Sentence Correction. The flashcards were carefully taken from various sources. One of the sources is our GMAT expert - Ron Purewal (There was a time when i searched intensively for his posts and recorded his takeaways in my flashcards). I will be posting my flashcards here on a daily basis and interested people can follow this thread and get benefited.

Good luck to ALL! Happy Learning!
Last edited by papgust on Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Download GMAT Math and CR questions with Solutions from Instructors and High-scorers:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/download-gma ... 59366.html

-----------

GO GREEN..! GO VEG..!

Daily Quote:
"Stop feeling sorry for the Butcher if you had to go Veg. The butcher can find another job but the poor animal cannot get back its life"

Community Manager

by papgust » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:39 pm
"Gotten" is often used as the past participle of "get" instead of "got" in American English. "Gotten" is used to express a status/possession.

Examples:

I haven't yet gotten myself an ipod

Have you gotten your homepage updated?
Download GMAT Math and CR questions with Solutions from Instructors and High-scorers:

-----------

GO GREEN..! GO VEG..!

Daily Quote:
"Stop feeling sorry for the Butcher if you had to go Veg. The butcher can find another job but the poor animal cannot get back its life"

Community Manager

by papgust » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:45 pm
"Collective Nouns" such as a group (of things), a crowd (of people), a herd (of cattle), a flock (of sheep), a regiment (of soldiers) etc. are usually SINGULAR and they take a SINGULAR VERB.

Examples:

A crowd of people has gathered.
A flock of sheep was grazing.

EXCEPTIONS:

If the members of the group are taken individually, then a PLURAL VERB may be used.

Example:

The audience are requested to leave by the nearest exit -- Groups of people take the nearest exit. They are not considered as a single group. So, we use a plural verb.

-----------

GO GREEN..! GO VEG..!

Daily Quote:

Community Manager

by papgust » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:48 pm
"Class Nouns" such as Clothing, Food, Furniture, Apparel, Hardware, Equipment, Software etc. are always SINGULAR and must therefore take a SINGULAR verb.

-----------

GO GREEN..! GO VEG..!

Daily Quote:

Community Manager

by papgust » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:53 pm
"A pair of" when applied to things where two components are always thought of together (such as Scissors, Shoes, Gloves etc.) is SINGULAR.

Examples:

That pair of scissors belongs to me.
Not a single pair of socks was clean.

If you omit "pair of" and merely use the plural word, then it must take a PLURAL verb.

Examples:

Those scissors belong to me.
His trousers were well-tailored.

-----------

GO GREEN..! GO VEG..!

Daily Quote:

Community Manager

by papgust » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:06 pm
"Much" in the beginning of the sentence implies SINGULARITY. Because Much is an expression of quantity. Much is used with uncountable nouns.

Example:

Much of the news published today is exaggerated.

-----------

GO GREEN..! GO VEG..!

Daily Quote:

Community Manager

by papgust » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:09 pm
Following pronouns always implies SINGULARITY,

1. Each
2. Everybody
3. Everyone
4. Nobody
5. Someone
6. Somebody

-----------

GO GREEN..! GO VEG..!

Daily Quote:

Community Manager

by papgust » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:13 pm
The phrases "together with", "Alongwith", "As well as" have a similar meaning to the conjunction "AND", but they do not work the same as "AND".

Examples:

John, alongwith Lina, was walking.
The teacher, alongwith the students, was having a meal.

-----------

GO GREEN..! GO VEG..!

Daily Quote:

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:730

by gmatmillenium » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:51 pm
Hi,

From what you describe of your compilation, it seems very helpful....if youre ok with it, will appreciate if you can share the entire flashcard book at one go....while daily FCs are helpful, it will take a while before lot of imp concepts are cleared.

Thanks
papgust wrote:Hello folks,

I have a huge flashcards book exclusively for Sentence Correction. The flashcards were carefully taken from various sources. One of the sources is our GMAT expert - Ron Purewal (There was a time when i searched intensively for his posts and recorded his takeaways in my flashcards). I will be posting my flashcards here on a daily basis and interested people can follow this thread and get benefited.

Good luck to ALL! Happy Learning!

Community Manager

by papgust » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:50 am
gmatmillenium wrote:Hi,

From what you describe of your compilation, it seems very helpful....if youre ok with it, will appreciate if you can share the entire flashcard book at one go....while daily FCs are helpful, it will take a while before lot of imp concepts are cleared.

Thanks

Hi gmatmillenium,

Really appreciate your thoughts! Flashcards could be shared at one go. I don't deny. But my flashcards are in handwritten form in a notebook. Moreover, my handwriting will not be readable by everybody here. So, it is of no purpose even if i scan my notebook and share.

That's why I am taking my time to manually type everything for you guys whenever i find good amount of time to sneak into BTG. (Probably i should've added a note in the introduction itself. But no worries :)).

However, i understand that it will take a while to get all concepts cleared. I will do my best to post as many points as possible everyday.

Good luck!

-----------

GO GREEN..! GO VEG..!

Daily Quote:

Community Manager

by papgust » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:01 am
Quantity words - Singular OR Plural?

1. For pronouns such as "All", "Some", "Any", "Most", "None" (SANAM), determine whether the pronoun referring to something is COUNTABLE or not.
If it is COUNTABLE, the sentence takes PLURAL verb. If it is NOT COUNTABLE, the sentence takes SINGULAR verb.

Examples:
Some of the students in the class have taken exam. -- Students are COUNTABLE. Hence, it takes plural verb "have"
Some of the grain was ruined in floods. -- Grain is NOT COUNTABLE. Hence, it takes singular verb "was".

2. With fractional expressions, determine verb by what is being measured: COUNTABLE or NOT.

Examples:
Three-fifths of the students in the class have taken their exams. -- Students are COUNTABLE. Hence, it takes plural verb "have"
Half of the grain was lost -- Grain is NOT COUNTABLE. Hence, it takes singular verb "was".

-----------

GO GREEN..! GO VEG..!

Daily Quote:

Community Manager

by papgust » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:08 am
Either-Or and Neither-Nor:

The subject that is closer to the verb determines the number (singular or plural form) of the verb.

Examples:
Neither the President nor his ministers were in favor of the war. -- verb is closer to the subject "ministers" (plural). Hence, verb is also PLURAL.
Neither the ministersnor the President was in favor of the war. -- verb is closer to the subject "President" (singular). Hence, verb is also SINGULAR.

Either and Neither: (Without Or and Nor)

ALWAYS SINGULAR.

-----------

GO GREEN..! GO VEG..!

Daily Quote:

Community Manager

by papgust » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:12 am
Quantity Words:

Two Items More than two items
------------- --------------------------
Between Among
More Most
Better Best
Less Least

Used with Used with
Countable Items Uncountable items
--------------------- -----------------------
Fewer Less
Number Amount, Quantity
Many Much

-----------

GO GREEN..! GO VEG..!

Daily Quote:

Community Manager

by papgust » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:39 pm
Hello folks,

I'm not sure whether you guys are following the thread as there is no response or no interest shown by you.

Please let me know if i need to continue posting. Otherwise, i'll stop right here. It's a sheer waste of time if no one is getting benefited.

-----------

GO GREEN..! GO VEG..!

Daily Quote:

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by sumanr84 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:57 pm
papgust,

Don't think that people are not following your tips. I find them really good and simple to learn. Viewer Hit count has already exceeded 250.

Not replying may be for many reasons. For me, the reason was not to break the flow of thread. I prefer to read your thread as a book ( since you already gathered the material from trusted source) and don't want to see much garbage of discussion here. I want it to stay clean.

Thanks for taking your time in putting together all of this..
I am on a break !!