Although ice particles in the upper atmosphere

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members
Although ice particles in the upper atmosphere benefit Earth in that they reflect and absorb solar radiation, acting as a global thermostat and thus keeping Earth from either burning up or freezing over, thev also accelerate the destruction of the ozone layer by reacting with chlorofluorocarbons (CFC's).
A. acting as a global thermostat and thus keeping Earth from either burning up or freezing over, they also accelerate
B. acting as a global thermostat and thus keeping Earth either from burning up or freezing over, while also accelerating
C. act as a global thermostat and thus keep Earth from either burning up or freezing over, while also accelerating
D. they act as a global thermostat that thus keeps Earth either from burning up or freezing over, even though it also accelerates
E. they act as a global thermostat to thus keep Earth from either burning up or freezing over, but they also accelerate

This is a GMAT Prep question.
I got confused between A and C.
Last edited by The Jock on Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks and Regards,
Varun
https://mbayogi.wordpress.com/

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:570

by reply2spg » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:40 pm
Please make sure not to paste answer while posting questions.
The Jock wrote:Although ice particles in the upper atmosphere benefit Earth in that they reflect and absorb solar radiation, acting as a global thermostat and thus keeping Earth from either burning up or freezing over, thev also accelerate the destruction of the ozone layer by reacting with chlorofluorocarbons (CFC's).
A. acting as a global thermostat and thus keeping Earth from either burning up or freezing over, they also accelerate
Correct
B. acting as a global thermostat and thus keeping Earth either from burning up or freezing over, while also accelerating
C. act as a global thermostat and thus keep Earth from either burning up or freezing over, while also accelerating
D. they act as a global thermostat that thus keeps Earth either from burning up or freezing over, even though it also accelerates
E. they act as a global thermostat to thus keep Earth from either burning up or freezing over, but they also accelerate

Sudhanshu
(have lot of things to learn from all of you)

by The Jock » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:45 pm
Post edited...
Thanks for pointing out...it was a copy-paste mistake...
Thanks and Regards,
Varun
https://mbayogi.wordpress.com/

Legendary Member
Followed by:7 members

by kvcpk » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:30 pm
I went with my ear in this question. How to approach it grammatically?

by neha.patni » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:33 am
The Jock wrote:Although ice particles in the upper atmosphere benefit Earth in that they reflect and absorb solar radiation, acting as a global thermostat and thus keeping Earth from either burning up or freezing over, thev also accelerate the destruction of the ozone layer by reacting with chlorofluorocarbons (CFC's).

IMO A

In C, "while also accelerating" creates a sentence fragment. it does not complete the sentence

Read it like this

Although A is responsible for X, he also does y

Although A is responsible for X, while also doing Y

Which answer choice seems correct?

Also while has 2 different meanings...

Legendary Member
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:700

by bubbliiiiiiii » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:57 am

I vote for E because Although and but are properly matched over there.

Please correct.

Regards,

Pranay

Followed by:1 members

by indiantiger » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:54 am
Answer should be A.

B violates " either x or y "
C misuses while.

I came to the choice A by POE

in A acting is modifying "ice particles" or "ice particles in the upper atmosphere benefit Earth in that they reflect and absorb solar radiation" ?
"Single Malt is better than Blended"

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by selfmade » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:44 am
I think it should be A.

Here is my explaination:

- D can easily be ruled out becasues it uses "keeps" - Read the simple statement as 'Particles keeps earth burning up' vs 'Particle keep earth burning up'.
Also as correctly pointed out in previous post, construction

Although X , eve though y doesn't look right

- E can be ruled out for same reason.

Although X ,but Y doesn't look right

- B and C can be ruled out or same reason again

Although X while also Y doesn't look right

- A is the correct answer : On the first glance it looks like an issue with parallelism but its not.

Here, consider this

X = Although ice particles in the upper atmosphere benefit Earth in that they reflect and absorb solar radiation, acting as a global thermostat and thus keeping Earth from either burning up or freezing over,

So, ice particles benefit earth in that they reflect and absorb solar radiation
The next part of X explains HOW ice particles do that, so its not necessary to use parallelism here.
----------
Aiming for 780

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by vindooo » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:54 am
IMO A.
Please correct me if I am wrong but, the present participle should be used, in case of this sentence 'acting' to indicate all are happening in the same time frame. ' acting as a global thermostat '

Options CDE can be eliminated.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by hilbert » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:06 pm
Although ice particles in the upper atmosphere benefit Earth in that they reflect and absorb solar radiation, acting as a global thermostat and thus keeping Earth from either burning up or freezing over, thev also accelerate the destruction of the ozone layer by reacting with chlorofluorocarbons (CFC's).

A. [acting] as a global thermostat and thus [keeping] Earth from either (burning) up or (freezing) over, they also accelerate
B. [acting] as a global thermostat and thus [keeping] Earth either (from burning) up or (freezing over), while also accelerating
C. act as a global thermostat and thus keep Earth from either (burning) up or (freezing) over, {while also} accelerating
D. they act as a global thermostat that thus keeps Earth either (from burning) up or (freezing) over, {even though} it also accelerates
E. they act as a global thermostat to thus keep Earth from either (burning) up or (freezing) over, {but} they also accelerate

Answer is A