Analysis of issue - Please help to review - GMAT in 4 days

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:700
===================================================================
ESSAY QUESTION:
"Despite the convenience of distance learning and online educational programs, they will never replace in-class instruction."

Discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the position stated above. Support your viewpoint using reasons and examples from your own experience, observations, or reading.
===================================================================

The issue whether the convenience of distance learning and online educational program can replace in-class instruction is contentious one. While each side has its strengths and weaknesses, I believe that the convenience of distance learning and online educational programs will never replace in-class instruction because in-class instruction provides better interaction, hence better learning. Further more, it also helps students to build a comparatively bigger and stronger network and also keeps them motivated.

"More you intertace, more you learn". A classroom provides the right platform to students to interact actively in an effective and efficient manner. This makes overall learning smooth and long lasting. Compare to this, in distance learning a student most of the time is learning by himself and has limited resources for interaction. For example - I hold two degrees, one full time and one distance learning. During my distance learning whenever I was unable to understand an abstract concept, I felt demotivated as the way to resolve queries was passive: email, online chat, and phone. In contrast, during my full time degree, learning was more active as I could any time interact face to face with the instructor.

Additionally, a good classrom experience helps to build a strong and bigger network that is very helpful in long term. Classroom provides the right kind of environment to make friends. Compare to this distance learning and online educaiton programs ain't helpful that much in this context. Moreover, classroom learning keeps one motivated towards the ultimate goal and one also gets inspiration from her fellow colleagues, while in online and distance educational programs, most of the motivation comes in the form of self-motivation.

One may argue that distance and online learning can be helpful to those who are working parallel and wants to learn at their own pace. While these points have a base, in my opinion these values are also available in classroom based learning. Now a days, most of the universities are offering part-time courses and students can take time to complete the course. However, in case when one is working at geographically different location than university's location, online and distance learning can be of some advantage.

In conclusion, Classroom provides a platform for active learning, hence make the overall experience of learning smooth. It also helps students to build a comparatively bigger and stronger network and also keeps them motivated. Additionally, because of availability of part time courses, One can work and learn parallel as her own pace. Based on these reasons, convenience of distance learning and online educational programs will never replace in-class instruction because in-class instruction.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by abhayag4 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:11 pm
good structure. except use a structure word for the first paragraph. should get u a 5.5 or 6