Profile evaluation - Scholarship perspective

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Profile evaluation - Scholarship perspective

by Abhi7 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:05 am
Hi. I am male 24 from India. My gmat score is 720. ( Q-50,V-36, AWA -5). I will have 3 years work ex by June 2012. I work in a fortune 500 oil sector company. I have taken some leadership roles in my organization. I have a GPA of 7.14 in my Mechanical Engineering. I have very good extra- currics. I was head boy of the school. I was active in various sports in school and also the member of the college basketball team. I was the secretary of the Technical Education Society in our college. I was involved in various other social forums during and after under-graduation.

I had shortlisted the following schools - Duke, Tepper, Darden, Kenan Flagler,Ross,Yale.

But now I am worried that even if I get to one of these schools, I would be able to get any scholarship. I do not have much savings and I would not like to burden myself with a hefty loan. Kindly suggest some schools based on my profile where I would be able to get a decent amount of scholarship and wont have to trade-off much with the quality of education..

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:47 pm
Dear Abhi7,

Scholarships are wonderful; unfortunately, schools do not have unlimited funds to offer scholarship awards to all admitted students. For many top programs, like the ones you note in your post, scholarship awards are few and the amount will not cover all of your expenses. You will be expected to cover part of the costs, which include tuition, fees, books, and living expenses (not to mention other incidentals). If a scholarship award is your primary concern, then you should be targeting programs that are not as selective as these and where your profile is significantly above average. No one likes to take on loans and debt, but there are very, very few MBAs that graduate from business school without at least one loan to pay back.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me