Profile Evaluation (CA/CPA)

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Evaluation (CA/CPA)

by stizzi » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:26 am
Dear Stacy,

I was accepted into one of the Big 4 after my 2nd year at the University of Toronto. After which I was guaranteed a position to start at the Big 4 firm in audit upon completion and all I had to do was pass my courses. My grades went from a CGPA of 3.5 (as of the end of 2nd year), to a CGPA of 2.8 at the end of my 4 years.

I have written/passed the CKE, SOA and UFE and have obtained my Chartered Accountant (CA, CPA equivalent) designation.

I'm now having a dilemma... I want to get into one of the top 10 MBA schools in the U.S.

I know I can score well on the GMATs, I did plenty of mocks and these questions are my strong suit. Is there even a point though? With my low 2.8 CGPA, will a high GMAT topped with my CA designation count for anything for getting into one of the top 10 MBA schools in the US?

Please let me know your thoughts. I'm at a point in my career where I have to make a decision on whether I will be doing my MBA or not. I really don't want to waste all this time studying, writing to end up not being able to get into one of the top 10 MBA schools in the U.S.

CGPA after 2nd year: 3.5
CGPA after 4th year: 2.8
GMAT ~ 700 (likely)
Chartered Accountant Designation (CPA equivalent)
3 years Big 4 Audit experience in Energy and Mining Markets
References: Partners at Bay Street Audit/Law Firms.

Please let me know how I stand for getting into the top 10 MBA schools in the US, as well as INSEAD and London School of Business

Thank you

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:24 pm
Dear stizzi,

I would not say a top 10 is an impossibility, but I cannot say it is a guarantee either. There are no guaranteed profiles in MBA admissions. How successful your applications will be depends on many factors, not just the GMAT or a GPA. I agree that your GPA is a potential concern; the admissions committees will want to know why your GPA had a downward trend your final two years. A high GMAT and successful professional track record might be enough to mitigate concerns on your ability to handle the curriculum, and a strong set of essays and recommendations might assuage concerns on your commitment and motivation for your coursework this time. However, you will need a strong, overall application package to have a chance. Perhaps a consultation with one of our consultants might be helpful to you? It is free and you can get a sense of how realistic a top MBA program is based on all the factors. To request a consultation, please visit our website at www.stacyblackman.com.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me