Boldface Questions

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Boldface Questions

by abhimanyu.tanwar » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:09 am
Hey All,

I am having trouble answering the Boldface questions. 8 out of 10 Boldface questions i end up answering incorrectly. Though my overall CR isn't that bad. I answer approximately 80 % CR questions correctly but when i face a Boldface question i am unable to make relation between the boldface and answer choices.

Please let me know of some techniques/tricks, if there are any, to understand, attack and conquer a Boldface question.
Regards
Abhimanyu

Legendary Member
Followed by:123 members
GMAT Score:750

by cans » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:21 pm
have you read powerscore CR bible?
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button ;)

Contact me about long distance tutoring!
[email protected]

Cans!!

by abhimanyu.tanwar » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:32 am
thanks for the reply Cans!

Yes, i am read CR PowerPrep Bible. not fully though, i read the important chapters such as strengthen, weaken and assumptions. i didn't find a chapter for Boldface questions.

Could you please help me understand how to solve a boldface question.
Regards
Abhimanyu

Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members

by navami » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:24 pm
For BolDFacE questions try to find the conclusion, premises in the passage. That alone will help you answer approx 70% questions.
This time no looking back!!!
Navami

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:123 members
GMAT Score:760

by Geva@EconomistGMAT » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:15 pm
abhimanyu.tanwar wrote:Hey All,

I am having trouble answering the Boldface questions. 8 out of 10 Boldface questions i end up answering incorrectly. Though my overall CR isn't that bad. I answer approximately 80 % CR questions correctly but when i face a Boldface question i am unable to make relation between the boldface and answer choices.

Please let me know of some techniques/tricks, if there are any, to understand, attack and conquer a Boldface question.
There's nothing magical about these.

1) Read through the entire argument first, ignoring the boldface parts. Reason through the argument - tell yourself in your own words what's going on - premises? Conclusions? is there one opinion? two opinions?

2) Next, drill down to the specific roles of the boldface portions. Again, tell yourself in your own words, what roles they play - are they premises? conclusions? are they hard facts, or softer judgements/opinions? Do they support each other / go against each other? Summarize to yourself what the roles of the boldfaces portions are, and only THEN -

3) go and find an answer choice that says that, albeit in different words. Aggressively eliminate any answer choice that does not match your own definition of the Boldface roles.
Geva
Senior Instructor
Master GMAT
1-888-780-GMAT
https://www.mastergmat.com

by abhimanyu.tanwar » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:50 pm
Thanks Navami and Geva!

I'll implement the strategy mentioned above, put more effort into the boldface questions and try to answer them correctly.
Regards
Abhimanyu

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by gunjan1208 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:08 pm
hello guys,
I also faced the same 2-3 days ago but in between did a lot of collection of the material and the one I came across being the best one is Manhattan/Charu's notes. [Manhattan notes are very small but read them carefully, they must be sufficient]

Here is the extract what I learnt (of course in addition to what the expert has replied):-

Find facts (Words like Evidence, Circumstances and Finding do the same)
Find if there is opinion (Claim/Judgement and position by the someone in the arguments mean the same)
Then find out if there is Conclusion (Position by Argument and assertions do mean same)

And yes, we shall have to practice lot of these questions.

Regards
Gunjan

by abhimanyu.tanwar » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:53 pm
Thanks Gunjan for the extract!

Could you please also share the Manhattan/Charu's notes.
Regards
Abhimanyu

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by gunjan1208 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:39 pm
Hi Abhi,

Here you go for Charu's notes. That is what I got on the net. For Manhattan, I am sorry, its the hard copy. but I shall see how could I scan and give it to you in next days to come.

Regards
Attachments
Bold Face Questions_Charu's Notes.docx
(18.2 KiB) Downloaded 98 times

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:227 members

by e-GMAT » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:13 am
Abhimanyu,

Our bold face concepts are available in our free trial. We detail out the strategies to approach these questions and solve multiple questions in a guided fashion for you. just register at https://e-gmat.com/secure/register.php . You will also find 15+ exercise problems to practice from.

Regards,

Rajat

by abhimanyu.tanwar » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:35 am
Thanks Gunjan for sharing the notes! :)

Thanks Rajat for the information and the link! I'll definitely take the free trial.
Regards
Abhimanyu

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:44 pm
i received a private message regarding this problem.

you can watch my free online lecture about this topic at the following link:
https://www.manhattangmat.com/thursdays-with-ron.cfm
the archive lectures are posted at the bottom of the page; scroll down (or use your browser's search function) until you find the lecture on boldface problems. it should be from april of 2010.

in brief:

* your primary line of attack on these problems should be to ignore the answer choices and PREDICT the answer yourself.
in general, this is the only type of question on cr for which there is only one possible correct answer -- because each statement in the passage generally has only a single role to play -- so, if you understand the argument completely, you should ideally be able to produce the answer to this kind of question without needing multiple choices.

if you don't have a sufficient understanding of the argument to predict the answer cold, then you can try one or both of the following backup approaches:
1) decide which side of the overall argument each boldfaced sentence is on (i.e., for or against the overall argument -- be sure not to confuse the overall argument with any included counterarguments when you make this decision), and then eliminate any answer choices that place either of the boldfaced statements on the wrong side of the argument.
2) decide whether each boldfaced statement is a FACT or a CLAIM; then, if any of the answer choices contain words that imply either a fact or a claim, then eliminate those choices that carry the wrong implication.

for more details about these approaches, please check out the lecture.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

by abhimanyu.tanwar » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:54 pm
Thanks Ron!
I will watch the online lecture today only.
Regards
Abhimanyu