510 GMAT Score - 27 Q, 33V - do I need to retake it?

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi guys,

Im trying to get into an MS Accounting program at one of the California State Universities (theres about 7 CSU schools with the MS Accounting program I want to get into). I took the GMAT today and absolutely bombed it :( The math was a disaster and by the middle of the math section I actually kind of froze and knew I was in trouble. Data Sufficiency problems seemed like greek to me.

Here's my question -

1.) Is 510 good enough (ugghhh especially with that quant. score) to get into any of those programs?

2.) If not, Im 32 years old and havent taken a math class in more than 10 years. Do you think studying "tips and tricks" would really help? I do have a degree in business economics and I did 2 semesters of calculus but that was a long time ago.

3.) Ive already applied - If you think I should retake the GMAT in a month do I just let the schools know that I plan on retaking it and to hold my admissions file until they receive the new score?

Any help/advice would be much appreciated! Thanks

by eartzi » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:18 pm
Okay so I signed up for a restest in a months time and Im ready to put in a really good month of studying. I feel like a got "lucky" on the verbal and the math I just froze.

Here's my study plan:

1.) Do every problem (including and especially data sufficiency) in the Official Guide - Quant.

2.) Based on #1's study, lots of flashcards to memorize key formulas

I might also get the Princeton Review book.

My goal is to go from the 510 I got on the 1st try to 590 or 600. I need the Quant. to be over the 50th percentile.

What's really disappointing is that I have a solid mathametics background including classes in Calculus and I scored in the 20th percentile on that 1st try. Ugghh

Any advice would be appreciated! :)

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:15 members

by VP_Jim » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:27 pm
To answer your first question, it really depends. For example (I just looked this up for you), Cal State Fullerton states that its students have an average GMAT score of 550 for the MS Accounting program. If the rest of your application is stellar and makes up for your slightly-less-than-average GMAT score, then you might not need to take the test again. I'd really recommend researching further for the schools you're interested in, and possibly contacting them to get a better feel of whether your application is strong enough with your current GMAT score. Yes, even though you have already applied, you might be able to save yourself a lot of anxiety (and not have to retake the GMAT again) if you contact them about this.

However, if you really do want to retake the GMAT (and it seems this way), I think it's a good idea for you to take a community college course to brush up on math fundamentals since you believe you're rusty at it. Good luck, and hope this helps!
Jim S. | GMAT Instructor | Veritas Prep

by bobbyp » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:20 pm
No, you're fine with that score for cal states. Forget the averages, it's all bullshit anyways. Go on the web and you'll see different sites post different averages for the schools. There's a few grad school books out there that aren't more than a few yrs old that post averages way lower than what the deceptive websites state. I've known many people who've gotten into the various aacsb accred csu's with scores in the 500's. You could probably get into pepperdine, chapman, etc (I know someone who did Pep with a score in the 500's). Maybe not UCLA, USC. As long as you have good work experience, decent gpa undergrad you should have no prob. I got in with a score in the 500's. Don't let the morons on this forum tell you that you need higher than that for decent schools (Non-top 10's). It's merely snob appeal and bragging rights on their high scores (IE, a psychological problem). This is why PRACTICALLY ALL decent schools post a 500 minimum, or the >= 1000 formula to get in on their official websites. It's this threshold they want you to pass (500) and they probably list an inflated average.

NUFF SAID!

by bobbyp » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:26 pm
Eartzi,

Also if you wish to improve your math do the problems like a gazillion times over. Math is just one of those things that you can improve with repitition. I actually had the opposite problem. Excellent on the math and so so on the verbal, but math is my fortay.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by hecubus330 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:12 pm
Did you retake? I applied to a Cal state with a 500. I'm waiting to hear back for Winter admission.
Did you wind up enrolling anywhere?

by bobbyp » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:58 am
Hi Hecubus,

No I didn't retake. I was accepted at CSULA. I think 500 is their minimum, you can google it. You should be ok with most Cal States with a 500.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by hecubus330 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:50 am
I had to retake because I had a 470 and admissions said they just couldn't let me in with a score below 500.I was just curious to see if people really did get in with a low 500 score.
Congrats on your admit... two years ago. lol

by upas123 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:54 pm
Hey friends,
Do you have any idea how much GMAT score is required for san jose state university MS accountancy?