GMAT 2 attempts - 1st - 710, 2nd 640

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

GMAT 2 attempts - 1st - 710, 2nd 640

by AmitGMAT » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:32 pm
Hi,

I have a question regarding my GMAT Score. I am a female with 7 years of work experience in Research and development, IT, India.

On first attempt I scored a 710 ( Q 47, V 40 ). But I was getting much much better in my mock GMATs as well as GMAT Prep. So I decided to give it another shot in another month's time.

But unfortunately on the eve of my second attempt, I fell sick with a very high fever and sore throat. I went in for the examination and tried my best, still I got a low score of 640 ( which was much much below my standards and my preparation ) and left me completely disheartened and lost.

I am a very good student academically. I was school topper and B.E. Computer engineering topper from a top league college in India.

Although all the mba programs have published on the website that they take the higher score, I still want to know whether it would adversely affect my profile.

Also, Do you suggest that I explain the reason for my poor second attempt in the additional essays that College have.

Thanks,

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:50 pm
Dear AmitGMAT,

The majority of schools only use your highest score, as you report on your application form. For many, they do not even look at the official score report, showing all of your test attempts, until after the decision has been made to verify what you reported is true. Your first score of a 710 is a great score and you should feel confident that you are competitive on that measure. There is no reason to explain a GMAT score on a test attempt that does not factor in to your evaluation.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by AmitGMAT » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:32 pm
Thanks a ton Lisa.

It has provided me the confidence I needed to do my best on the applications...