Help needed for Quant

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Help needed for Quant

by gmatcat » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:12 am
Hello ....
I am new to the forum and have been reading about all you wondering hard working GMATers out there. I need some help with regards to the Quant section. I have been practicing the questions in the OG and seem to get them. I think its because I have solved them a few times. But when I look at a new question I am unable to apply my knowledge to it. :cry: I find it difficult to understand what information is needed. Can someone please recommend a book or a method that I can sue to develop my application ability. I have to take the test in 25 days and I am ready to work my ass off for it.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Quant

by gmat321 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:24 pm
I think you need to understand common tricks which are used. Like in geometry > triangle > u can find area > if u know height and base or for 90 degree triangle > two sides, isoscele triangle > one side + angle / equilateral triangle one side.

So when you read the question and find what is asked.. find what all you will need for that scenario.
General tips: many a times the question asks for one more step after the whole calculation done. For example Mr A sold a bag in $180 with 20% profit, if the Bag was sold with 10% more then current sold price then how much profit Mr A earned? The question is asking you to calculate the difference > not the purchase price. So once you calculate the purchase price you should not stop there.

Hope this helps.