This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Inequalities & Powers

by sparkle6 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:09 am
If s^4 * v^3 * x^7 < 0, is s*v*x < 0?

1) v < 0

2) x > 0

[spoiler]Answer: E, but I feel it is D because if v < 0, then x must be positive, hence s*v*x is < 0. If x > 0, then v must be negative, and s*v*x is negative.[/spoiler]

Legendary Member
Followed by:123 members
GMAT Score:750

by cans » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:30 am
s^4 * v^3 * x^7 <0
s^4 >=0
thus v^3 * x^7 <0
v^2*x^6 * vx<0
thus vx<0.
is svx<0??
we know vx<0, thus we have to find whether s>0??
A and b are both insufficient as nothing is given about s...
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button ;)

Contact me about long distance tutoring!
[email protected]

Cans!!

Legendary Member
Followed by:11 members

by knight247 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:28 am
@sparkle6. Ur logic does make sense. However, there is one thing u've overlooked. If v is -ve then v^3 is -ve and the only other logical deduction is that x and therefore x^7 is positive as s^4 is always +ve. But s^4 is always positive irrespective of whether s is +ve or -ve. We still don't have any indication of s's sign in either of the two statements. Even after we combine both statements we only know that s^4 is +ve and hence s could be either negative or positive. Hope that clarifies ur doubt.

Legendary Member
Followed by:8 members

by saketk » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:13 am
sparkle6 wrote:If s^4 * v^3 * x^7 < 0, is s*v*x < 0?

1) v < 0

2) x > 0

[spoiler]Answer: E, but I feel it is D because if v < 0, then x must be positive, hence s*v*x is < 0. If x > 0, then v must be negative, and s*v*x is negative.[/spoiler]

Since the product given to us is <0 we know for sure that either V or X is NEGATIVE. S^4 will always be positive. BUT, S can be a negative number

From Statement 1 we get to know the sign of X.
From Statement 2 we get to know the sign of V..

BUT we still don't have any information about the sign of S. Therefore the product of these 3 numbers can be either Greater than zero or less than zero.

Hence, the answer should be E.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:255 members
GMAT Score:750

by Brian@VeritasPrep » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:40 pm
Great explanation, guys!

And one thing that comes up in this problem that you could use (I'm not sure how often it would come up, but here it's a nice clue) is this:

If you're saying that the answer is D, then there's really no use for the statements. You'd be able to get D even if the statements were pure gibberish. From the stimulus we know that s^4 must be positive (it's an even exponent so it can't be negative, and the whole product is less than 0, so it's not 0). Which means that one of v and x is positive and the other is negative, because we have:

+ * ? * ? = negative

They can't share the same sign.

When I first looked at this, my initial inclination was D...but that was before I even looked at the statements. And that was my clue to think "wait a second...how can I solve the problem even before I get to the statements?", reconsider the setup and realize that while s^4 must be positive, s could be either positive or negative. s is the linchpin - v * x is definitely going to be negative, so it all hinges on s. And noting that the statements didn't matter in my incorrect-assumption view of the original stimulus gave me that clue that I should read it again more closely.

Like I said, I don't know how often that will come up, but if it does it's a nice clue that you need to go back and reconsider...
Brian Galvin
GMAT Instructor
Chief Academic Officer
Veritas Prep

Looking for GMAT practice questions? Try out the Veritas Prep Question Bank. Learn More.