A bone flute

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:640

A bone flute

by hoji » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:08 am
The spacing of the four holes on a fragment of a bone flute excavated at a Neanderthal campsite is just what is required to play the third through sixth notes of the diatonic scale-the seven-note musical scale used in much of Western music since the Renaissance. Musicologists therefore hypothesize that the diatonic musical scale was developed and used thousands of years before it was adopted by Western musicians.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the hypothesis?

A. Bone flutes were probably the only musical instrument made by Neanderthals.
B. No musical instrument that is known to have used a diatonic scale is of an earlier date than the flute found at the Neanderthal campsite.
C. The flute was made from a cave-bear bone and the campsite at which the flute fragment was excavated was in a cave that also contained skeletal remains of cave bears.
D. Flutes are the simplest wind instrument that can be constructed to allow playing a diatonic scale.
E. The cave-bear leg bone used to make the Neanderthal flute would have been long enough to make a flute capable of playing a complete diatonic scale

why is C wrong? Because it does not refer to Neanderthals.?

My reasoning: the four hole on a bone ->(leads us to conclude that)Musical instrument developed earlier.

Critical moments: four holes, bone,Neanderthals(because it refers to the earlier time)
that is why we should link Neanderthals with the bone instrument? that is when we strengthen the argument. is it right?
Please comment, BTGers!
I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of a man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor.
Henry David Thoreau.

Sleep GMAT, eat GMAT, beat GMAT!

Legendary Member
Followed by:123 members
GMAT Score:750

by cans » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:29 am
IMO E
premise: fragment of bone flute found.
conclusion: the diatonic musical scale was developed and used thousands of years before it was adopted by Western musicians

A) doesn't matter..
B) again irrelevant to the conclusion
C) we are not concerned about the material from which flute was made....
D) doesn't support conclusion
E) Question shifts from flute to diatonic scale. This statement fills the gap.
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button ;)

Contact me about long distance tutoring!
[email protected]

Cans!!

Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members

by navami » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:07 am
Option C .
C. The flute was made from a cave-bear bone and the campsite at which the flute fragment was excavated was in a cave that also contained skeletal remains of cave bears.
just introduces bear factor. it doesnot prove any conclusion part not provide any additional premises.

E precisely says that bone (being used in this particular case) can be sufficient to play diatonic scale. Hence better than rest of the options
This time no looking back!!!
Navami