American manufacturers

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

American manufacturers

by ahumphre » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:31 pm
Hi All, I found this in a CR LSAT/GMAT review. The answer is E, but if someone could walk me through the reasoning or suggest other review materials where I can improve on these types of questions, that would be awesome! Thanks in advance!

At one time, European and Japanese companies tried to imitate their American rivals. Today, American appliance manufacturers import European scientists to lead their research staffs; American automakers design cars that mimic the styling of German, Italian, and French imports; and American electronics firms boast in their advertising of "Japanese-style" devotion to quality and reliability. In the world of high technology, America has lost the battle for international prestige.
Each of the following statements, if true, would help to support the claim above EXCEPT:

(A) An American camera company claims in its promotional literature to produce cameras "as fine as the best Swiss imports."
(B) An American maker of stereo components designs its products to resemble those of a popular Japanese firm.
(C) An American manufacturer of video games uses a brand name chosen because it sounds like a Japanese word.
(D) An American maker of televisions studies German-made televisions in order to adopt German manufacturing techniques.
(E) An American maker of frozen foods advertises its dinners as "Real European-style entrees prepared by fine French and Italian chefs."

Legendary Member
Followed by:123 members
GMAT Score:750

by cans » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:42 am
All the options A,B,C,D are tech stuff except E which is food....
I think that's why. I am not sure ...
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button ;)

Contact me about long distance tutoring!
[email protected]

Cans!!

Legendary Member
Followed by:43 members
GMAT Score:640

by GmatKiss » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:05 am
ahumphre wrote:Hi All, I found this in a CR LSAT/GMAT review. The answer is E, but if someone could walk me through the reasoning or suggest other review materials where I can improve on these types of questions, that would be awesome! Thanks in advance!

At one time, European and Japanese companies tried to imitate their American rivals. Today, American appliance manufacturers import European scientists to lead their research staffs; American automakers design cars that mimic the styling of German, Italian, and French imports; and American electronics firms boast in their advertising of "Japanese-style" devotion to quality and reliability. In the world of high technology, America has lost the battle for international prestige.
Each of the following statements, if true, would help to support the claim above EXCEPT:

(A) An American camera company claims in its promotional literature to produce cameras "as fine as the best Swiss imports."
(B) An American maker of stereo components designs its products to resemble those of a popular Japanese firm.
(C) An American manufacturer of video games uses a brand name chosen because it sounds like a Japanese word.
(D) An American maker of televisions studies German-made televisions in order to adopt German manufacturing techniques.
(E) An American maker of frozen foods advertises its dinners as "Real European-style entrees prepared by fine French and Italian chefs."
I would like everyone to post your question first and then discuss your view on it.
The very first line in the question reveals the answer. (Not even in a spoiler)
IMO: I dont like to check the question further as its already answered and i will check only for option:E!

It will not help any! :(

Regards,
GK