This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:43 members
GMAT Score:640

by GmatKiss » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:47 am
edirik wrote:Referring to the Kaplan Premiere question below,
         00:00        

How to...
The newly elected baseball commissioner has asked that a federal arbitrator would mediate negotiations between representatives of the umpire's union,which has threatened to go on strike,and the lawyers representing major league franchise owners

A. that a federal arbitrator would mediate negotiations between representatives of the umpire's union,which has threatened

B. that a federal arbitrator mediate negotiations between representatives of the umpire's union,which have threatened

C. of a federal arbitrator that he mediate negotiations between representatives of the umpire's union,which have threatened

D. a federal arbitrator that he mediate negotiations between representatives of the umpire's union,which has threatened

E. a federal arbitrator to mediate negotiations between representatives of the umpire's union,which has threatened
I understand that "which" refers to "umpires union" since union can go on strike not representatives.

But I read that "which" can only refer to (noun)+preposition+(noun). Following this, would you please let me know whether this sentence would be true!
The newly elected baseball commissioner has asked that a federal arbitrator would mediate negotiations between representatives of the umpire's union,]which consist of 4 people from each city,and the lawyers representing major league franchise owners
P.s: beatthegmat.com management, I posted this item in 15 minutes with my ipad, I beg you provide an easier solution shortly :)
[/quote]

It should be singular!

IMO:E

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by mehrasa » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:07 pm
IMO; E

.... has asked a federal arbitator
not asked of or asked that ==> eliminate a, b, and c
choice c says "a federal arbitrator that he" not only it is wordy but also the use of "that" here is wrong ==> the answer will be E

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:227 members

by e-GMAT » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:18 pm
The newly elected baseball commissioner has asked that a federal arbitrator would mediate negotiations between representatives of the umpire's union,which consist of 4 people from each city,and the lawyers representing major league franchise owners.

I will not answer the question directly :). I will pose a follow-on question:
Is this sentence correct:
Representatives consist of 4 people from each city.
Union consists of 4 people from each city.
Group consists of 4 people from each city.

Legendary Member

by GmatKiss » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:22 pm
e-GMAT wrote:The newly elected baseball commissioner has asked that a federal arbitrator would mediate negotiations between representatives of the umpire's union,which consist of 4 people from each city,and the lawyers representing major league franchise owners.

Group consists of 4 people from each city.
Please correct me if am wrong!

by sl750 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:36 pm
Answer B

This sentence uses the subjunctive verb. So, the root form of the verb mediate is required

Union, Group are singular nouns, so the verb consists is correct. Representatives is plural

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Calvin123 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:16 am
IMO E and the reasoning is same as described by GmatKiss.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by e-GMAT » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:43 am
GmatKiss wrote:

Ok so now you yourself said that sentence 1 "Representatives consist of 4 people from each city." is not correct. In the light of this, now is your original sentence (reworded) correct?

The newly elected baseball commissioner has asked that a federal arbitrator would mediate negotiations between representatives of the umpire's union,which consist of 4 people from each city,and the lawyers representing major league franchise owners.

Note that the red colored portion is similar to the incorrect sentence 1 discussed above.

And once you answer this question, you would have addressed your doubt on your own. :)

Will wait for your answer.

Thanks,

Payal

Legendary Member
Followed by:8 members

by saketk » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:48 am
e-GMAT wrote:The newly elected baseball commissioner has asked that a federal arbitrator would mediate negotiations between representatives of the umpire's union,which consist of 4 people from each city,and the lawyers representing major league franchise owners.

Group consists of 4 people from each city
I think both 2nd and 3rd are correct.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by e-GMAT » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:22 am
Yes 3rd is also correct. The only difference between 2nd and 3rd is the change of collective noun - union changed to group. I just threw it in the mix for some context. But as such to answer the original query, I only needed the analysis of sentence 1 and 2. :)

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members

by aspirant2011 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:19 am
What's the OA?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by amir_hatef » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:05 am
e-gmat:
Is it correct to say in general ''X of Y'' should be treated with merely X or Y?? I mean in ''representatives of the umpire's union,which...'' ''which'' should refer to representatives BUT as long as which can NOT refer to people(representatives), it refers to Union in this case. Or this logic is wrong and straightforward we have to say which refers to [Y=union]?? Am I right? If not, can you please correct me in terms of ''X of Y'' cases?

Followed by:6 members

by gunjan1208 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:08 pm
Hi Payal,

My original answer was E. But now I shall choose B.

However, I am not convinced completely for this. If we say Representatives.....have....Than dont you think we should have an option using WHO instead of Which.

Legendary Member

by GmatKiss » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:36 pm
e-GMAT wrote:
GmatKiss wrote:

Ok so now you yourself said that sentence 1 "Representatives consist of 4 people from each city." is not correct. In the light of this, now is your original sentence (reworded) correct?

Note that the red colored portion is similar to the incorrect sentence 1 discussed above.

And once you answer this question, you would have addressed your doubt on your own. :)

Will wait for your answer.

Thanks,

Payal
The which bolded represents the union and hence correct!
where as sentence 1, "Representatives consist of 4 people from each city" wrong!
am unable to get to the point here! Please help me with the take away.

thanks,
GK

Legendary Member
Followed by:4 members

by akhpad » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:16 am
Above discussions are correct. Please also see in below image.

by sl750 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:25 am
Isn't of the union's a prepositional phrase, so how can that be the subject of the verb has?

Moreover, if we are referring to the individuals in a group, shouldn't the plural verb be used?