2 attempts at GMAT...confused on how to proceed !!

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:690
Hello,

I took GMAT for the first time in April and scored 650 ( Q 48, V 32, AWA 5.5). Based on my discussions with friends , i decided to give it another shot so as to increase my chances of being selected.

My analysis at that time was:
1) Score is not bad. But becase i belong to the Indian IT MALE category, the competition is much more than in any normal category.
2) With a total experience of 8+ yrs (spread across IT, Business, Sales, Client relationship management), including 4 yrs of international work, this score should be good enough.
3) For giving more security to selection in top colleges, it is better to score around 700.

After brushing up my concepts and reviewing, i retook GMAT yesterday and i was in for a surprise package.Actually surprise would be an understatment because i did horrible.
My new score was: 610 ( Q 47, V 27). I was very scared since last week that my score should not go down. This made me very jittery at the start and my confidence crashed. I could not attempts 1 Q in Quant and 2 Q's in verbal.I have reflected on this tragedy and can easily say that it was due to loss of my confidence. I dont doubt my concepts but at this point i am so stressed that i am thinking if i have been overconfident of my self all this while.

I am not sure about what to do next and i have some major questions infront of me. In the last 6 months, i took multiple practice tests and scored 690-730 consistently. If some experts can help me in answering these questions, it will be really great.

1) Should i retake GMAT?
2) If i retake, what should i do to ensure that i can get my score around 700?
3) In case i do relate and score around 690-700, how will the admission panels view multiple attempts?

My profile is mentioned below for reference:

GMAT - 650 (Q 48/ V 32 / AWA 5.5) (2nd attempt - 610 (Q47/V 27)
Ethinicity: Indian
Work Exp: 8 Yrs (International Work Experience 4-5 yrs)
Work profile: Presently acting as Program maanger for a big M&A implementation along with client relationship management and sales related activities

Thanks in advance.

Legendary Member
Followed by:22 members

by throughmba » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:02 am
People have given GMAT more than twice and scored 700+ and got into good schools
1. nobody knows was it because of 700 plus score or their profile was good enough
2. havent given GMAT and got a call

Macro application wisdom suggests, if you had post 650 and if you couldnt improve at retest, go with it.

Your experience, though your goal hasnt been described, seem to be on higher percentile. (its good)

All depends on your application essays and the colleges you choose.

Best of luck.
ThroughMBA Consulting
The No. 1 B-School Admission Consulting of U.K. is now the most Affordable.

https://throughmba.com
email : [email protected]

Alex Wilkins
Senior Admission Consultant, ThroughMBA.com
Panelist | MBA Admissions Achievers Meet
Interviewer | MIT Sloan | Former
Management Consultant | McKinsey & Company | Former

"Regardless of who you are or what you have been, You can make what you want to be."

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:680

by sam2304 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:21 am
Hi gmatjeet,

Congrats on getting a 650 :)
2) If i retake, what should i do to ensure that i can get my score around 700?

Your quants score is already good, you can improve it by few points 50 or 51 which won't take you to 700. 49Q and 39V will get you 720. So you should give more importance to verbal part being a non native speaker. Try to find your weak areas in verbal.

For CR - you can try reading powerscore CR bible or Manhattan CR strategy.
SC - Try MGMAT SC and Aristotle SC - best source for SC basics.
RC - Practice general reading (i am improving because of that) and regularly do 2/3 RCs a day.
3) In case i do relate and score around 690-700, how will the admission panels view multiple attempts?
As far as i know this depends on the BSchools which you are planning to apply. Usually more than 3 attempts are a problem that too not in every bschool.
1) Should i retake GMAT?
650 is a good score. Check the bschools for mid 80% range of gmat scores and experience. Median gmat scores and class profile as well to get more idea about your chances. Most of the bschools have 5 years as their 80% range. Probably you have good chances with this score itself along with 8 years of overall exp including 4 years of international exposure. GMAT factor is one among the essays and recommendations, so give more importance to essays and recos. Probably experts can throw some light on whether you can retake, personally i don't think another attempt is necessary.

Hope this helps :)
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.
https://gmatandbeyond.blogspot.in/