Did I screw myself over?

Let's talk about...whatever!
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Did I screw myself over?

by oakback » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:11 am
Hi, new member, glad to be here. I'm looking for advice, or something.

My employer just re-established a tuition-reimbursement program, and I have until 10/1 to apply to my program of choice in order to get into Spring classes (this explains my short time span). I'm scheduled to take the GMAT on 9/29, 2 weeks from now. In less than a week I was able to obtain and deliver transcripts, get reference letters, pay application fees, etc. Pretty proud of that. But the GMAT haunts me.

I've looked at sample GMAT questions online, any of the non-math ones are a cake walk to me, and I'm great at impromptu essays. However, the math blows me away. I used to be good at it (or thought I was), but looking at it now, I can't figure any of it out. I'm freaking out about it. I think I became too reliant on a calculator over the years. It's been 4 years since I was in business school, and a few years prior to that was my last math class (statistics and pre-calc).

I maxed out my credit card paying for the test, I have no money for study books, and really, really don't want to take the test more than once (I'd probably just give up on my MBA). I'm paranoid that the online sample tests are purposely hard to try to get me to buy a book. Not that I could buy the book either way, but I'm hoping the questions aren't really THAT hard (hopefully?). I'm trying to borrow a book from someone via pleads of help on facebook, so far no luck.

(edit: Before anyone points it out, I know I won't get GMAT test results back in one day before the application deadline, but I already talked to admissions and they said it would be fine as long as I got all the other requirement completed, which I already have.)

TL;DR I have 2 weeks before I take the GMAT, I suck at the GMAT math. Am I screwed, or can I pull this off? I need a minimum 550.

Legendary Member
Followed by:123 members
GMAT Score:750

by cans » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:13 am
Hey, If you are good at verbal, practice quant properly. Its not tough and you can take gmat prep test (Thats based on actual test). 550 is not difficult score...
You can do it :)
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button ;)

Contact me about long distance tutoring!
[email protected]

Cans!!

by oakback » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:49 am
Thanks! The reassurance really does help.

I found the free flash cards (from this website), and I'm going over the quant stuff, they're great. Rather than just practice problems and working backward to figure out how to get the answer, all the little tricks and rules are helping tremendously. After I feel comfortable with these, I'll try a bunch of practice problems. Luckily I don't have much to do at work the next couple weeks!

Legendary Member
Followed by:123 members
GMAT Score:750

by cans » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:12 am
good for you.. at gmatclub.com, there are some extra free flash cards. you can check them also.
Good Luck :)
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button ;)

Contact me about long distance tutoring!
[email protected]

Cans!!

by oakback » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:52 am
Unofficial:
Quant, 34, 36 percentile
Verbal, 34, 69 percentile
Total, 560, 51 percentile

The school says it requires a minimum of 550, so hopefully I get in!

by oakback » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:56 am
Analytical writing, 5.5, 77%, official score 560.