help me with this SC

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

help me with this SC

by mukgera » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:58 am
Japan is a culture of accommodation and constraint, a system of forms, etiquette, and images, making its ever-present congestion tolerable.

(A) Japan is a culture of accommodation and constraint, a system of forms, etiquette, and images, making its
(B) Japan, a culture of accommodation and constraint, is a system of forms, etiquette, and images, which makes its
(C) A culture of accommodation and constraint, Japan is a system of forms, etiquette, and images making its
(D) Japan's is a culture of accommodation and constraint, a system of forms, etiquette, and images that makes the
(E) Japan's is a culture of accommodation and constraint, of a system of forms, etiquette, and images which makes the

My answer was B but OA is D

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

by mundasingh123 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:30 am

Legendary Member
Followed by:123 members
GMAT Score:750

by cans » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:31 am
Japan is not a culture. Its a country. A,B and C are wrong.
images are things and 'that' should be used. IMO D
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button ;)

Contact me about long distance tutoring!
[email protected]

Cans!!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:6 members

by gunjan1208 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:14 am
Japan is a culture of accommodation and constraint, a system of forms, etiquette, and images, making its ever-present congestion tolerable.

(A) Japan is a culture of accommodation and constraint, a system of forms, etiquette, and images, making its : It refer to what is not clear
(B) Japan, a culture of accommodation and constraint, is a system of forms, etiquette, and images, which makes its : Same as above
(C) A culture of accommodation and constraint, Japan is a system of forms, etiquette, and images making its : Who makes?
(D) Japan's is a culture of accommodation and constraint, a system of forms, etiquette, and images that makes the [Now this bring the new topic which makes congestion as a Subject and thus the sentence is complete](
E) Japan's is a culture of accommodation and constraint, of a system of forms, etiquette, and images which makes the : Which? Non- essential inforamtion?Where?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by zaarathelab » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:10 am
mukgera wrote:Japan is a culture of accommodation and constraint, a system of forms, etiquette, and images, making its ever-present congestion tolerable.

(A) Japan is a culture of accommodation and constraint, a system of forms, etiquette, and images, making its
(B) Japan, a culture of accommodation and constraint, is a system of forms, etiquette, and images, which makes its
(C) A culture of accommodation and constraint, Japan is a system of forms, etiquette, and images making its
(D) Japan's is a culture of accommodation and constraint, a system of forms, etiquette, and images that makes the
(E) Japan's is a culture of accommodation and constraint, of a system of forms, etiquette, and images which makes the

My answer was B but OA is D

A,B and C have modifier issues. Japan is definitely not a culture.

D vs E

I went with D

Here's why:

The elements in the list in E are not parallel - of a system of forms - not PARALLEL
Success = Max(Hardwork) + Min(Luck)