Pls come a destroyer, Titan or admin, it's tough SC

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Unlike human runners, who broke the four-minute mile in 1954 and they consistently recorded faster times ever since, horses in classic races such as the Kentucky Derby have had winning times with little improvement: Secretariat's world-record-breaking Derby tine of 1:59 2/5, for example, was set in 1973 and remained unsurpassed more than a quarter of a century later.

a) they consistently recorded faster times ever since, horses in classic races such as the Kentucky Derby have had winning times with little improvement
b) they have consistently recorded faster times ever since, those of horses in classic races such as the Kentucky Derby have shown little improvement in winning times
c) have consistently recorded faster times ever since, horses in classic races such as the Kentucky Derby have shown little improvement in winning times
d) have consistently recorded faster times ever since, in those of classic races such as the Kentucky Derby, horses have had winning times with little improvement
e) consistently recorded faster times ever since, those of horses in classic races such as the Kentucky Derby have shown little improvement in winning times

OA is C, but lots of people pick D, however I pick E.

Pls explain in detail why pick C!!!

Followed by:6 members

by gunjan1208 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:44 pm
Hi,

Am relatively new on the forum but just now completed my manhattan book for SC. I think following are the reasons: I got C.

1- C & D are immidiately zeroes in on the basis of present perfect.
2- D is awkward in the send of being verbose, I shall go with C only.

by tracyyahoo » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:27 am
Your explaination is completely a blank to me. I don't understand anything what you mean.
gunjan1208 wrote:Hi,

Am relatively new on the forum but just now completed my manhattan book for SC. I think following are the reasons: I got C.

1- C & D are immidiately zeroes in on the basis of present perfect.
2- D is awkward in the send of being verbose, I shall go with C only.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:123 members
GMAT Score:760

by Geva@EconomistGMAT » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:37 am
tracyyahoo wrote:Unlike human runners, who broke the four-minute mile in 1954 and they consistently recorded faster times ever since, horses in classic races such as the Kentucky Derby have had winning times with little improvement: Secretariat's world-record-breaking Derby tine of 1:59 2/5, for example, was set in 1973 and remained unsurpassed more than a quarter of a century later.

a) they consistently recorded faster times ever since, horses in classic races such as the Kentucky Derby have had winning times with little improvement
b) they have consistently recorded faster times ever since, those of horses in classic races such as the Kentucky Derby have shown little improvement in winning times
c) have consistently recorded faster times ever since, horses in classic races such as the Kentucky Derby have shown little improvement in winning times
d) have consistently recorded faster times ever since, in those of classic races such as the Kentucky Derby, horses have had winning times with little improvement
e) consistently recorded faster times ever since, those of horses in classic races such as the Kentucky Derby have shown little improvement in winning times

OA is C, but lots of people pick D, however I pick E.

Pls explain in detail why pick C!!!
It's actually a fairly easy one, if you work correctly.

Note the following stop signs: who broke....and they have

the 'and' creates a parallel construction, which should logically connect two verbs - two things donw by human runners. The pronoun "they" interupts this construction. eliminate A and B.

also, there's the consideration brought up by gunjan1208: the key words "ever since" indicate that the action of recording faster times is spread out over a lengthy period of time from the past to the present, and thus should require the present perfect "have recorded", not the past simple "recorded". This is one way to eliminate E as well.

The other crucial stop sign is the word "unlike", which indicates a comparison. One of the key issues tested in comparison questions is logica comparison: basically, the two things compared need to be things that are logically comparable.

C correctly compares human runners to horses.

D illogically compares human runner to "those of classic races", where it's not even clear what the pronoun "those" refers to, but definitely not horses, which is the only noun that can logically compare to a human runner in the context of this sentence.

E has the same problem - illogically compares "human runners" to "those of horses".
Geva
Senior Instructor
Master GMAT
1-888-780-GMAT
https://www.mastergmat.com

Legendary Member
Followed by:8 members

by saketk » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:36 am
Use this TIP:- When you see keywords like "Since" & "within" in context of time use Present perfect tense. Using this rule only you will be able to eliminate all other option except for C and D.

D is incorrect because it incorrectly compares human runners to " in those of classic races "

C is the only option left.

Legendary Member
Followed by:43 members
GMAT Score:640

by GmatKiss » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:44 am
Unlike human runners, who broke the four-minute mile in 1954 and they consistently recorded faster times ever since, horses in classic races such as the Kentucky Derby have had winning times with little improvement: Secretariat's world-record-breaking Derby tine of 1:59 2/5, for example, was set in 1973 and remained unsurpassed more than a quarter of a century later.

Correct usage: Unlike X ..... , Y ...

So Unlike human runners(X), Horses(Y) is correct. Eliminate B,D,E

They in A is redundant.
C is left out and is correct!!

Hope it helps :)

-GK

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by meenakshimiyer » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:07 pm
The use of pronoun "they" is redundant and wrong as we have already introduced the subject "human runners" with "who" in the same sentence. So, eliminate A and B.
Choice D and E comparison of "human runners" with "horses" is not clear. Hence, D and E are out. Choice C has the clear comparison and the right use of pronoun. Hence, C is the answer.