Retaking the GMAT and R1/R2

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Retaking the GMAT and R1/R2

by tk84 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:57 am
Hi,

I took the GMAT today. Although I received a good score (720 - q49,v40), I'm debating whether to retake the exam. I really believe that on a second attempt I can score at least 740 (probably 750-760).

I'm applying to top-tier programs (H/S/W, Columbia, and NYU) and my undergrad GPA isn't the best (85/100, or around 3.3-3.5), so a really good score would definitely help.

The question is whether i should retake the exam?
If I decide to retake the exam, is it possible to apply in R1 and notify AdComs on an updated GMAT score? Harvard, for example, states that they are unable to accept any additional information sent after the application has been submitted. Do they enforce this rule?
Or do you believe it is best to wait for R2?

My overall profile:
Israeli male, 27.
Have been working for the past year and a half as an analyst at a major VC fund (highly regarded in the industry). Served in the Israeli army for 4.5 years: roughly one year as a flight cadet, and three and a half years as an intelligence officer.
Got my undergrad from a top Israeli university, majored in accounting and economics (GPA - 85/100).
Solid extracuric. activities.

Thank you,
TK
Last edited by tk84 on Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Diplomat » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:40 pm
Hi - I was about to create a post and then saw this. I basically have the exact same question so I figured it might be easier for you if I "replied" with my question in the same post

(tk - I'm not trying to hijack here, just trying to make it easier on Stacy)

Below is the question I just posted in a different section
********************************************************************************************

Hello,

I'm new to the site so I'm not 100% sure how it works but I'd love some feedback as I am on the fence here.

I just finished my first GMAT and I got a 700 (44 Q, 42 V). I am concerned with my Quant score because I was in the 66th percentile and I've read that the top programs look for a minimum score of 75th percentile. I had a bit of a snag as my proctor was unfamiliar with the sign in system and took a while to sign me in and out so my break time went over. It only cut about a minute of time off my quant section but it stressed/freaked me out, and that coupled with the fact that I took too long on a few questions caused me to run short on time and guess on the last 5 questions or so. Anyway, I'm confident if I take again I can get at least 70th (likely 75th - 80th) percentile for quant and I think I would be more in the 730+ score range, which is what I was scoring on my practice exams (740 on my last practice).

My question is, should I re-take and apply round 2 or should I go ahead and apply with my 700 round 1. My 5 schools are Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, LBS, and Columbia. I spoke briefly with someone in the HBS admissions office and she mentioned that they would not take my updated score into consideration. She also mentioned that there is little difference between round 1 and round 2, except in applicant pool, with round 1 being more consultant and banker heavy. Unfortunately I fall into this group as I am a consultant. My concern here is will schools take in most of their quota of consultants and will I be fighting against the odds to get in round 2?

Finally, a bit on my background. I have worked in data/quantitative/analytics heavy consulting for the past 3 and a half years and I have a 3.7 cumulative GPA (and a 3.9+ in Business and Economics) from Franklin and Marshall College (a top ~30 liberal arts college). Will this be enough to convince admissions committees that I can handle the rigorous quantitative course load of an MBA program, thus allowing me to apply round 1 with my 700, or should I go ahead and re-take the exam and apply in Round 2?

Thanks in advance,

J

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:59 am
tk84 wrote:Hi,

I took the GMAT today. Although I received a good score (720 - q49,v40), I'm debating whether to retake the exam. I really believe that on a second attempt I can score at least 740 (probably 750-760).

I'm applying to top-tier programs (H/S/W, Columbia, and NYU) and my undergrad GPA isn't the best (85/100, or around 3.3-3.5), so a really good score would definitely help.

The question is whether i should retake the exam?
If I decide to retake the exam, is it possible to apply in R1 and notify AdComs on an updated GMAT score? Harvard, for example, states that they are unable to accept any additional information sent after the application has been submitted. Do they enforce this rule?
Or do you believe it is best to wait for R2?

My overall profile:
Israeli male, 27.
Have been working for the past year and a half as an analyst at a major VC fund (highly regarded in the industry). Served in the Israeli army for 4.5 years: roughly one year as a flight cadet, and three and a half years as an intelligence officer.
Got my undergrad from a top Israeli university, majored in accounting and economics (GPA - 85/100).
Solid extracuric. activities.

Thank you,
TK
Dear TK,

Whether or not to retake the exam is a tough question to answer as I don't have all the information to provide a definitive yes or no. Your current score is certainly competitive, right at or slightly above average for your target schools. In looking at your application in totality, you have to ask yourself if you are strong across the board, or if you feel you really need an above average GMAT to balance a potential weakness. Your GPA is not a weakness; it is also right about average for these programs.

HBS is serious--they will not let you update your GMAT or anything else after you submit. Other schools also have this policy in place, so you need to verify with each program. Should you decide to retake the GMAT, do not sacrifice your essays or other application pieces for a retake. These other pieces are as important and a 750 will not make up for a sloppy resume or poorly written essays.

Applying in R2 with a stronger, overall application package is always better than applying R1 with a rushed application. So, if you truly believe you can increase your score, and need the higher score, while also crafting a strong package, then R2 might be your best strategy.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Lisa Anderson » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:06 am
Dear J,

Please see my answer to TK above for many of your questions. For you specifically though, I would not worry about being in the round with all the other consultants. Maybe it would be better to not be with them so you don't get "lost" in the consultant mix? Strong applicants in any round, those that make a compelling case for admission and submit a strong total package, will be offered admission regardless of industry, school, etc. In my opinion and based on the little information you provided, I would think A's in your quant undergrad coursework combined with quant/analytical professional experience will further demonstrate you have the aptitude to handle the program. Nevertheless, you need to evaluate your total application and look at the complete picture--if you feel you need the higher GMAT to balance out a potential weakness or to help you stand out more from other consultants, then retaking and applying R2 might be your best strategy.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant

Learn more about me

by Diplomat » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:49 am
Thanks for the feedback Lisa. I am going to re-take in about a month or so and do some better prep. I found out I had done FAR less practice than most people so I think I was fairly under prepared, especially with respect to the timing factor. I've only done about 10% or so of the Official Guide problems and only did 4 practice exams as I was focusing more understanding concepts and reading/re-reading the Manhattan GMAT strategy guides.

Anyway, I'll be retaking sometime in mid-late October and applying for Round 2. Hopefully they'll have room for at least ONE more consultant!

Thanks again!

by Diplomat » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:08 am
Hi Everyone,

Thanks again for the advice. To follow up on this this: I re-took my exam in December and under proper timing conditions my score improved to a 760 so I'm quite pleased with my decision.

Score breakdown ended up as follows:

Quant - 49 (85th percentile)
Verbal - 45 (99th percentile)

I'll try to get as many apps done as I can between now and the mid Jan deadline (likely 2 or 3). Fingers crossed...

- Jake

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by tk84 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:27 am
Hi Jake,
I guess it must have something to do with this post.. Also retook the exam - 770 (50, 45).
Best of luck!

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Lisa Anderson » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:09 pm
Way to go Jake & tk84!! Outstanding GMAT results!
Lisa Anderson
Consultant

Learn more about me