540 to 740; Our greatest glory is not in never failing

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:740
Two weeks ago, as I sat contemplating my applications to business school, I wondered whether or not an overall score of 660 would even give me a chance to attend a program of my choice. I was frustrated, to say the least, and disappointed that I had worked so hard to score 700+ and had fallen short each of the three times that I had taken the exam.

Early in the fall of 2009, having received an undergraduate degree from a prestigious private university in the USA in the spring of 2008, I decided to set a date and to begin studying for the GMAT. I worked hard for the next several weeks striving to review every bit of content that I could in preparation for my exam at the end of January 2010. Leading up to the exam, I had taken few practice exams (650, 660, 680, and 640) and had done only a few of the OG practice questions. This proved disastrous when I took the actual exam; finding myself with very little time remaining and lots of questions to go. My main sources of studying were the Manhattan GMAT books. I was very pleased with them and found them very helpful throughout the entire process. There just came a point, however, that I had to set them aside and start practicing.

In the end, I scored a bleak 540/46% (V: 27/42%, Q: 38/50%, Essay: 5.5) on 23 Jan 2010. I learned from that first experience that I needed to benchmark my timing throughout the exam and that I needed to practice, practice, practice; not just review overall content. In addition, I learned that it is not the hours of studying that you put in, but the studying that you get in those hours that count.

After taking several months off, I began studying once again for the exam in the fall of 2010. I did not set a date, but just spent several weeks taking practice tests and practicing the problems found in the Official Guides. My practice scores improved a bit but mainly revolved around 700 (680, 710, 710, 660, 700, 670, 720, 710, 710, and 690). These exams included taking the GMATPrep exams twice as well as all of the Manhattan exams. In addition, I used Manhattans online study companion and found a great deal of use out of the reports that it generated. It was very helpful. Furthermore, I enlisted the help of a not-so-cheap, but excellent tutor to aide me in my quantitative struggles. He was very helpful and helped me to realize that the GMAT doesn't care if you know how to do all the steps to every problem, so long as you get the answer right.

I scheduled the exam just days before taking it. I felt that I did well but knew that I didn't achieve the score that I wanted. I scored a 660/82% (V: 38/83%, Q: 44/68%, Essay: 5.0) on 4 Mar 2011.

Upon achieving the 660, I was determined to keep working hard to achieve my goal of 700+. I was very confident that I could score above 700. So I continued to study and rescheduled my exam. Again, I waited to schedule the exam until just a couple of days before the actual date of the test. I liked this because I felt most prepared. In fact, I had taken several more practice exams before my third exam (680, 710, 650, 710, 760, 720, and 710). The last three practice tests I did the week of the exam. I was very excited for the exam and knew that I would score well. Then, the unthinkable happened. I scored worse on the third exam than on the previous exam. I was devastated. How could it be possible?! I scored a 620/70% (V: 36/78%, Q: 39/52%, Essay: 5.5 on 11 May 2011. I really did not know what to do. All that work, all that effort, to do worse?!

So, back to two weeks ago... I sat with my amazing wife contemplating what to do. We decided that if I did not give the exam one more shot, then I would regret it the rest of my life. I knew what I was capable of and I knew what I wanted. I rescheduled the exam for today, 9/10/11. It was the only available opening for a Saturday between then and application deadlines at the nearest testing center. I purchased a copy of the Advance Quant Guide from Manhattan and got to work. I totally ignored anything related to the verbal portion of the exam and focused on the quant for two straight weeks. I took one last practice exam on Labor Day (so much for a day off) and scored a 750 (V: 44, Q: 48).

I tried to approach this exam as relaxed as possible. I knew that I was ready and I was confident in my ability. What ever happened, happened. I sailed through the essays and went to work on the quant section. I felt that I did well other than a couple of monster questions that devoured a ton of time. I began the final question with 2:30 left. The verbal section went smoothly. As I mentioned, I did not spend any addition time studying for the verbal preceding this exam. I had decided just to let my ear do the work. Similarly, I began the final question with 2:30 left. I clicked through the final background questions, clicked submit, and buried my face in my hands. I knew that I had to look at my score. I slowly opened my fingers... 0... 4... 7..., 7?! A 740! I was elated. I scored a 740/97% (V: 44/97%, Q: 48/80%, Essay: TBD. Not only did I score I 700+, but I achieved the 80/80 split that I was looking for.

In the end, I proved to myself that great faith and effort will prevail. As Emerson said, "Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail."

This is just the beginning of the road... it is now time to get to work on essays and applications. Thank you so very much for those who have posted their truly motivating war stories. And best of luck to you all as you chase your dreams!

Background Info:
- 27-year-old male
- Born and raised a Washington State country boy
- Undergrad: Construction Management and Business Management
- Happily married with two wonderful little girls
Last edited by bcdilley on Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:700

by prodizy » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:01 pm
I am really happy for you man. great achievement and a great post. all the best for the applucation process. can you eavorate how you have improved from 42%le to 97%le in Verbal? Also, what made the difference last time in quant?
My journey towards the MBA: https://theroadlesstravellled.blocked/

Followed by:6 members

by prateek_guy2004 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:27 am
This a called focus on a target score.....

Awesome inspiration...Great work!
Don't look for the incorrect things that you have done rather look for remedies....

https://www.beatthegmat.com/motivation-t90253.html

by bcdilley » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:40 pm
Thank you for your posts.

What I did different on the the Verbal portion that increase my score from the 42% to the 97%:
I believe that for me the key to doing this was to think more and to analyze less. I feel like I got to a point where I was over analyzing every question and not thinking logically about what the answer would be. Out of the hundreds of hours that I spent studying, I think that I only spent 20 minutes studying Reading Comprehension. I found that the best way to study the verbal---for me of course, being a native English speaker---was just to do practice exams and to thoroughly review the answers. Manhattan GMAT's online companion was very helpful in helping identify my weaknesses in SC and CR. I was then able to really dial in on those areas.

What made the difference on my Quant:
Although I felt that I knew the content presented on all of my exams, my biggest obstacle was myself. I've found that in life, not just on the GMAT, I jump all to often right into a project (question) before even thinking through things. My tutor helped me to take a step back, figuratively speaking, from the question and to read and to look for clues within the question before doing anything else. This allowed me to look for shortcuts and to work much more systematically. Also, the Advanced Quantitative Guide by MGMAT helped to shore up that approach. For example, in the past if I were asked to solve (98)(102), I would work out the math and solve it the long way. Now, however, I would recognize that I can change things up and perhaps solve the question much more quickly using a more round-about approach: (98)(102) = (100-2)(100+2) = 100^2-2^2 = 10,000-4 = 9,996.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by sandeep1306 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:21 am
Hey BCdilly,

many, many congratulations. your story is an inspiration to all of us who couldnt make it to the dream scores.
i have couple of questions:
is the advanced quant book worth buying if someone is already in 46-48 quant range??
what resources did you refer to, for the verbal section?

all the best for the next stage.
Thanks,
Sandeep

by bcdilley » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:50 am
Sandeep,

Thank you for your comments.

Is the advanced quant book worth buying if someone is already in 46-48 quant range??

Yes. I found that it was very helpful and that it helped to ingrain the methods that I described above. Above all, half of the book is dedicated to and includes a large pool of difficult questions. The explanations are helpful as well.

What resources did you refer to, for the verbal section?

For SC, I used the MGMAT guide and the Beat The GMAT flashcards on my iPhone. For CR, I used the MGMAT guide in conjunction with the PowerScore CR Bible. For RC, I tried to actively read the Wall Street Journal and the Bible each day. You won't find anything more difficult to understand than the Book of Isaiah. :)

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by ram2 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:56 am
@bcdilley : Man you rock !!!!I cudn't get more inspiration than this..I sincerely appreciate your perseverance and wish you all the very best for all your future endeavours..

I have few specific questions about how to target the exam..May Be I'll write you soon or leave a PM.
Need your advice.

Ram

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:590

by viv_gmat » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:18 am
Truly Inspirational !!

Hearty Congratulations :)

by gmat.acer » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:14 am
hi bcdilley,
truly determined efforts! congratulations on the great score!

you mentioned you used mgmat's advanced quant guide. Could you please explain how useful you found that book? I know that the problems in that book are comparitively difficult than the ones in regular mgmat's strategy guides, but I wanted to know whether you found useful the techniques mentioned in that book - using visualization, guesssing techniques on hard DS problems, etc.

I am kind of in similar situation as yours. I've little over 2 weeks before my g-day. I am trying to decide whether I should refer advanced gmat quant or focus on gmat club's 25 quant practive tests in the limited time I have. I have been consistently scoring in 46-48 range in quant and want to improve as much as possible in next 2 weeks.

I will really appreciate if you could elaborate a bit on your quant prep experience.

congrats again and good luck with applications.

by ikaplan » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:17 am
bcdilley,

Your post is an inspiration for all of us who are trying to beat the GMAT. Thank you!
"Commitment is more than just wishing for the right conditions. Commitment is working with what you have."

by drramya » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:00 pm
Hey congratulations on your success and really appreciate your perseverance. GMAT is a real tricky exam, and one really can't assess the score themselves after an exam. I have a more or less similar failure and waiting to succeed the next time. I am presently working solely on OG 12 and OG 10. Already done with MGMAT books. Kindly elaborate your test day experience and kindly let me know if this practice will suffice. Another question is that 'what prep tests did you take the second time since u had already practised with MGMAT tests?

by lilpopers » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:48 pm
Thank you so much for sharing your story with us. I scored 540 on my first GMAT practice exam and your story helps me truly believe I can reach my goal of 700+.

by [email protected] » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:55 am
Great story :) , Even I am very confused to retake GMAT in coming Dec'2011, after heard your story and your diligence I have decided to take GMAT once again.... Truly encouraging.. :idea:

GMAT Score:630

by Tarun Khanna » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:40 pm
Hi bcdilley

From your first test in which you scored 27 in verbal, you scored an amazing 44 in verbal in your final attempt....I am also struggling a lot with my verbal section....How did you manage to go from 27 to 44?

Thanks
Tarun

by bcdilley » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:28 am
For what it's worth and for all of you that dream big and are perhaps struggling with the GMAT, I just had one of those 'moments' today on this Thanksgiving morning. A year ago at this very hour I was studying for the GMAT! The turkey was in the oven and my friends were out playing football! Yes it really sucked, but I think that the extra effort was worth it. I've since applied to several of the top business schools and have been interviewed by my top choices. Never, never give up!