Profile Evaluation: 640 and Duke?

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Evaluation: 640 and Duke?

by mariamstripes » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:11 am
Hi Stacy!

I would love some advice on whether or not I should retake the GMAT. I scored a 640 and would like admission to Duke (also applying for joint degree in MPP).

I am a 31 y.o. female
Undergraduate degree from small liberal arts college: Biology and Political Science
GPA: 3.5
Law Degree from University of Wisconsin in 2005
Work Experience
- Transplant Research Lab at a university before law school
- Public Defender in major metropolitan area for the past 6 years, managing major complex cases (i.e. murders, mortgage fraud, etc)

Should I retake the GMAT? Do I have a shot with such an applicant profile at the Duke program? P.S. I was scoring around 660-680 on my practice tests before I took the actual exam.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by mariamstripes » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:17 am
I forgot to mention:

I will be moving to NC where my husband is stationed for the military.

My GMAT breakdown was Q: 43 (64%), V: 35 (74%)

I am trying to get my MBA in order to work in management in government

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:45 pm
Dear mariamstripes,

I think it is possible you could be successful with your current score at Duke, but a higher GMAT score (particularly with a quant over 45) would put you in a stronger position. You will need to show evidence through your transcripts that you can handle the quantitative rigor of the program. Since you will be moving to NC, I highly encourage you to contact the admissions offices at both Duke and UNC-Chapel Hill regarding your profile. Both offices are friendly and direct in answering questions.

Best of luck,
Lisa

P.S. Thank you to your husband for his service and to both of you for your sacrifices.
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me