Probability

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Probability

by vishwas.arora » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:55 pm
Problem:

A man is known to speak truth 1 out of 3 times. He throws a die and reports that it is a three. What is the probability that it is actually a three?

Request an expert to please give a brief explanation.

Thanks
Jai Hind !

Legendary Member
Followed by:123 members
GMAT Score:750

by cans » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:09 am
out of 3 times, he speaks truth once. thus prob = 1/3.
p(3/reported = 3) = p(3 and reported=3)/p(reported = 3) = (1/6)*(1/3)/(1/3) = 1/6
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button ;)

Contact me about long distance tutoring!
[email protected]

Cans!!

by vishwas.arora » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:17 am
cans wrote:out of 3 times, he speaks truth once. thus prob = 1/3.
p(3/reported = 3) = p(3 and reported=3)/p(reported = 3) = (1/6)*(1/3)/(1/3) = 1/6
This is, indeed, not the correct answer.

The correct answer is [spoiler]1/11[/spoiler]

Experts pl help..!
Jai Hind !

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:355 members
GMAT Score:780

by Ian Stewart » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:58 pm
vishwas.arora wrote:Problem:

A man is known to speak truth 1 out of 3 times. He throws a die and reports that it is a three. What is the probability that it is actually a three?

Thanks
The answer is 1/11 only if you make a pretty ridiculous assumption - that when he lies, he always says "I rolled a 3". If that's the case, then there's a 1/6 chance he will roll a 3, and a 1/3 chance he will tell the truth about it, so a (1/3)(1/6) = 1/18 chance he both rolls a 3 and tells the truth. There's a 5/6 chance he does not roll a 3, and a 2/3 chance he lies and says he rolled a 3, so a (5/6)(2/3) = 10/18 chance he claims he rolled a 3 but did not. So when he claims he rolled a 3, the ratio of times he's telling the truth to the times he's lying is 1 to 10 (looking at the numerators of the two fractions), and the probability he actually rolled a 3 is 1/11.

But there's just no reason to think here that when this man lies, he will always say he rolled a 3. Why wouldn't he sometimes lie and say he rolled a 2, or a 6? If he simply chooses some other number on the die when he lies, then the probability he's telling the truth would simply be 1/3.

And of course, I'm not even sure why we'd assume here that this man tells plausible lies. How do we know that when this man lies, he doesn't say "I rolled a 29", or "What are you talking about, I didn't roll the die at all!".

I've seen a few questions set up like the one in the post above, and they're all terribly written. Unless the question defines precisely what this man does when he lies, there is just no way to answer it.
For online GMAT math tutoring, or to buy my higher-level Quant books and problem sets, contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

ianstewartgmat.com

Legendary Member
Followed by:21 members

by pemdas » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:00 pm
a die of six numbers from 1 to 6 is reported to be truthful number 1 out of 3 times

a man throws a die and reports three; when he reports three, there is 1/6 chance that it's three. But even with the landed number three he may report not three 2/3 times, and only 1/3 times he will report three. Hence the chance that a man reports number three correctly is 1/6 * 1/3 or 1/18

Thanks
Success doesn't come overnight!

by vishwas.arora » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:09 am
Ian Stewart wrote:

Thanks
The answer is 1/11 only if you make a pretty ridiculous assumption - that when he lies, he always says "I rolled a 3". If that's the case, then there's a 1/6 chance he will roll a 3, and a 1/3 chance he will tell the truth about it, so a (1/3)(1/6) = 1/18 chance he both rolls a 3 and tells the truth. There's a 5/6 chance he does not roll a 3, and a 2/3 chance he lies and says he rolled a 3, so a (5/6)(2/3) = 10/18 chance he claims he rolled a 3 but did not. So when he claims he rolled a 3, the ratio of times he's telling the truth to the times he's lying is 1 to 10 (looking at the numerators of the two fractions), and the probability he actually rolled a 3 is 1/11.

But there's just no reason to think here that when this man lies, he will always say he rolled a 3. Why wouldn't he sometimes lie and say he rolled a 2, or a 6? If he simply chooses some other number on the die when he lies, then the probability he's telling the truth would simply be 1/3.

And of course, I'm not even sure why we'd assume here that this man tells plausible lies. How do we know that when this man lies, he doesn't say "I rolled a 29", or "What are you talking about, I didn't roll the die at all!".

I've seen a few questions set up like the one in the post above, and they're all terribly written. Unless the question defines precisely what this man does when he lies, there is just no way to answer it.
Makes sense, Ian. Thanks a ton for sharing your thoughts.

Regards
Jai Hind !