Gmat Prep Question already solved

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

Gmat Prep Question already solved

by mundasingh123 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:06 am
Could some expert please advice me as to what extent is my gmat prep verbal inflated
. I was thrown 2 CRs that i had already seen before on BTG Forum : 1 at qestion 18 and the other at Q 39 .
To what extent is my score inflated ?
I Seek Explanations Not Answers

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:56 am
mundasingh123 wrote:Could some expert please advice me as to what extent is my gmat prep verbal inflated
. I was thrown 2 CRs that i had already seen before on BTG Forum : 1 at qestion 18 and the other at Q 39 .
That's a very hard question to answer for many reasons.
First, are these questions that you would have answered correctly had you not seen them in the BTG forums?
Second, did you answer the questions immediately and essentially add 3-4 minutes to your time bank?

Even given the answers to these questions, there isn't a nice formula that says your score would by x points lower.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

by mundasingh123 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:29 am
Brent@GMATPrepNow wrote:
mundasingh123 wrote:Could some expert please advice me as to what extent is my gmat prep verbal inflated
That's a very hard question to answer for many reasons.
First, are these questions that you would have answered correctly had you not seen them in the BTG forums?
Second, did you answer the questions immediately and essentially add 3-4 minutes to your time bank?

Even given the answers to these questions, there isn't a nice formula that says your score would by x points lower.

Cheers,
Brent
I did take some time to answer those 2 questions . In fact the 41st question was repeated too , but i got that one wrong .
I Seek Explanations Not Answers

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:03 pm
the effect is variable. obviously, if you get the problem wrong, then there is no inflation (unless you answer it without spending any time). however, seeing repeated questions and getting them correct -- especially if you do so in a shorter time than you normally take -- will increase your score.

to estimate the degree by which your score is inflated, consider that, if the test were linearly scored, the effect of each question would be (800 - 200)/(37 + 41) or approximately 7.5 points. because of the additional effect of the adaptive nature of the test -- i.e., getting a repeated question correct will influence the adaptive progress of the test in addition to counting as correct -- the potential worth of each repeated question on an adaptive test could be more than that.

in any case, though, the best advice here is not to worry about exact score conversions for such tests. instead, concentrate on things that actually matter, such as reviewing the problems!
if you are seeing repeated questions and still getting them incorrect, then that is a very powerful indicator that you are spending too much effort just burning through practice tests and/or "doing problems", and not nearly enough effort on reviewing and actually learning.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron