Strategy to improve quant

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Strategy to improve quant

by Bad_Irene » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:17 pm
Hi,

I took the GMAT earlier today for the first time, and got a 660 - considerably less than I was aiming for, and not enough for the schools I want. The worst part of it is that 660 is what I got on my first practice test 6/7 weeks ago, without any prep at all. I then studied (focusing exclusively on quant), did a second practice test last week and scored a 740. In the real thing today, I got Q36 V45, so even though I only worked on the quant, that's what killed my score! I really felt I was making progress, particularly given I hadn't studied any Maths since high school, and even then I dropped it at 15. The stuff I got in the test today just felt way out of reach compared with my practice stuff.

I want to apply in time for the second round this year, which gives me some time to fix things, but clearly I need a new approach. I have people writing references for me, so it would be mortifying to have to go to them in a month or two and say "Hey, thanks for the references but my GMAT score isn't good enough so I won't be applying...".

One thing I have found is that if I stick at a topic long enough, I do actually come to understand it, unlike at school where I just learnt it. Is it just a question of making sure I can do everything in the OG with my eyes closed, or are there other approaches people can suggest? I don't know what this means in terms of the scaled score, but I need to improve enough in quant to at least break 700, but ideally hit 720.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:21 pm
Hi Bad Irene,

I think the best way to approach the quantitative section is to tackle one topic at a time and become a complete expert at that concept before moving on to another topic.

First be sure that you learn all of the necessary concepts, rules, formulas and GMAT-specific strategies for that topic and then answer hundreds of questions related to that topic. This website will provide you with ample practice questions for each topic.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com