Some questions about MIT

Talk to current MBA students about life in MBA programs (not for app advice/discussion)
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Some questions about MIT

by Surev » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:02 am
Hi Tom: I am targeting round 1 applications for B-schools this year. Here is a brief profile:
GMAT - 710 (Q50,V37); Undergrad - Electrical Engineering from an elite Indian school (IIT); WE - Total of 9+ years including 2 years in a patent services startup, 3 years of entrepreneurial experience providing patent services to US based law firms and consulting to Indian clients, last 3+ years as an patent & technology analyst in a Fortune 5 oil&gas firm based in India.

So while I have the positives of an entrepreneurial experience and an unconventional profile, the negatives are higher than average age, low undergrad GPA and no significant extracurriculars.

Would appreciate your response on the following question:
1. How do MIT look at the so called "old" candidates? I can explain that my MBA plan got delayed due to my entrepreneurial stint and then the time I had to spend rebuilding my personal life after the failed entrepreneurial attempt. Will that stand?
2. I do not have any sports interests to boast of or any community service to showcase. I have my own simple hobbies such as quizzing, puzzles solving etc. Is that a big negative?
3. I have some great experiences of interacting with CEOs and Investors as an entrepreneur. How much will that count for MIT?

After MBA, I want to continue in the energy sector with a focus on new and emerging technologies either through an energy VC fund or the investment arm of an oil&gas major.

Thanks in advance.
Surev

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Surev » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:07 am
Apologies. I was planning to post this topic at the MIT Sloan page but by mistake posted it here. I have reposted it where it was intended to be, so request the moderator to delete this post.

Regards,