Sequel - MGMAT

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

Sequel - MGMAT

by mehravikas » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:39 pm
Despite the sequel's poor critical reception, most people seeing it find the acting and cinematography at least as good or even better than the original.

A. most people seeing it find the acting and cinematography at least as good or even better than the original
B. most people seeing it find the acting and cinematography at least as good or even better than the original's
C. most people who see the film find the acting and cinematography at least as good as or even better than those in the original
D. most people who see it find the acting and cinematography at least as good or even better than those in the original
E. most people seeing the film find the acting and cinematography at least as good as or even better than those of the original's

OA: C
Source: MGMAT
Doubt: [spoiler]'C' has "who see the film"..shouldn't it be followed by "will find" instead of "find"?[/spoiler]

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

Re: Sequel - MGMAT

by kaulnikhil » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:32 pm
mehravikas wrote:Despite the sequel's poor critical reception, most people seeing it find the acting and cinematography at least as good or even better than the original.

A. most people seeing it find the acting and cinematography at least as good or even better than the original
B. most people seeing it find the acting and cinematography at least as good or even better than the original's
C. most people who see the film find the acting and cinematography at least as good as or even better than those in the original---a statement of general truth uses a present tense
D. most people who see it find the acting and cinematography at least as good or even better than those in the original
E. most people seeing the film find the acting and cinematography at least as good as or even better than those of the original's

OA: C
Source: MGMAT
Doubt: [spoiler]'C' has "who see the film"..shouldn't it be followed by "will find" instead of "find"?[/spoiler]

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by andy123 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:17 am
Despite the sequel's poor critical reception, most people seeing it find the acting and cinematography at least as good or even better than the original.

A. most people seeing it find the acting and cinematography at least as good or even better than the original -> acting and cinematography plural there those needed

B. most people seeing it find the acting and cinematography at least as good or even better than the original's --> original's is not correct

C. most people who see the film find the acting and cinematography at least as good as or even better than those in the original

-- the idiom is correct ... as good as ...

-- it cannot refer back to sequel's , i think its should have been used...

--- originals is wrong usage.

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by mehravikas » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:50 pm
I thought 'C' was missing 'will' it should be 'will find' instead of just 'find'

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by Mayur Sand » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:08 am
i am not convinced w.r.t D , why cant "it" refer to movie plz expalin

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:9 members

by rsadana1 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:33 am
mehravikas wrote:I thought 'C' was missing 'will' it should be 'will find' instead of just 'find'
This sentence states a contrast as indicated by the word "despite"

Clause 1 - despite the poor reception of the sequel => the sequel has received poor reception from the audience.

Clause 2 - many people who see the film find acting and cinematography good. => states a fact that people who see the film find it good on two accounts -acting and cinematography.

So both clauses state facts that show contrast.

Thus from the context of the sentence, clause 2 should not be "will find" since this clause states a fact about present and not about a fact or prediction about future.

Does that make sense?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:9 members

by rsadana1 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:38 am
Mayur Sand wrote:i am not convinced w.r.t D , why cant "it" refer to movie plz expalin
It cannot refer to sequel since, sequel is used in possessive case. If its was used in place of it, then its could have referred to sequel's.

To understand this better, reword the sentence as follows:

Despite poor reception of the sequel, many people who see it find acting good...=>

The reference of "it" is ambiguous since it appears to refer to poor reception but logically it should refer to sequel.

Does this help or have I confused you more?

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by abhicoolmax » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:43 pm
Is there a difference b/w the following 2 usages here?

"most people seeing"

"most people who see"

I eliminated "most people seeing" in my 1st split. And "it" in the 2nd. But if "seeing" is correct, I lucked out!

Thanks.

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members

by smackmartine » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:54 pm
Another way to ace this one:

when you see a construction such as "as good or even better than" ,make sure both "as part" and "than part" are able to stand alone in the sentence if one of them is supressed.

eg. ...most people who see the film find the acting and cinematography at least as good as those in the...

or ..most people who see the film find the acting and cinematography even better than those in the..

C and E are the only options which uses correct construction.
E is an easy KILL based on poison possessive "the original's"

C is the winner.
Smack is Back ...
It takes time and effort to explain, so if my comment helped you please press Thanks button :)

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members

by aspirant2011 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:46 pm
abhicoolmax wrote:Is there a difference b/w the following 2 usages here?

"most people seeing"

"most people who see"

I eliminated "most people seeing" in my 1st split. And "it" in the 2nd. But if "seeing" is correct, I lucked out!

Thanks.
Yup most people seeing changes the intended meaning of the sentence