GMAT 620, in doubt of retesting

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

GMAT 620, in doubt of retesting

by idiopat » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:53 am
Hi,
I gave my GMAT and got a 620. Obviously the top universities are out of scope. So am looking at Tier 2 Universities for an MBA Program, Finance. Got a 111 on the TOEFL. I have 2 years of core retail banking experience with managerial responsibilities. So how are my chances to get an interview from tier 2 MBA programs in the States?

Thanks and Regards,

Varun

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:32 pm
Dear Varun,

It depends on how your entire profile stacks up against a school's profile, as well as how compelling and strong your application is relative to the applicant pool. Decisions are made on a holistic evaluation of your application, so each component is significant and can make a difference. As an international applicant to US schools, your best chance of admission will be targeting programs with GMAT averages at or below a 630 and that are a good match for your career goals.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

by idiopat » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:57 pm
Thanks Stacy,

Yes that is true. I researched and am targeting 3-4 universities which have an average GMAT score of around 640-650. Do you think the attempt in such universities would be fruitful and would not be futile? That is of course with a compelling set of essays. Also I wanted to know the credibility of 2 colleges, Zicklin School of Business(Baruch College, Manhattan) and Northeastern University(Boston), for their MBA program.

Thanks and Regards,

Varun

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Lisa Anderson » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:02 am
Baruch and Northeastern are known programs with good reputations. However, they are primarily known in the northeast US (referred to as New England). Outside that region of the US, you might find they are not as recognized. If you would like to work in Boston or New York, or feel these schools are respected in your home country, then there is not a problem. As for whether or not an application is futile versus fruitful, it is hard to say. It is always best to have a good mix of programs on your list to "spread the risk," so to speak. I would think schools with GMAT averages in the 630-650 range to be more of reach programs for you as an international applicant. Thus you might want to target some with GMAT averages in the 600-620 range as well.

Regards,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant

Learn more about me

by idiopat » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:39 am
Lisa,

Thank You for the insights. I have short listed 10 universities, 3 far reach and a few reach and a few safe schools. My safe schools are Bentley University(McCullum) and Brandeis University(IBS). I wanted to know if these two universities like NEU and Baruch are credible in the Boston-NYC belt?
Also I have a 3 month work experience gap, so how do I best explain the gap? I feel I must submit the optional essay explaining the same. Any insights of how this gap could be explained in the best possible manner?

Thanks.

Regards,

Varun

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Lisa Anderson » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:30 am
Dear Varun,

Absolutely--Bentley and Brandeis are credible in the northeast, particularly the Boston area. A 3 month gap is a bit of a gray area as you are at just enough that some schools ask for an explanation, but not an excessive gap that raises huge concerns. To be safe, I agree that you should probably address the gap in the optional as it is better to provide the facts than allow the admissions committee to imagine all the possibilities. How to best explain the gap depends on the circumstances, but it is usually best to stick to the facts of how you left the first job, what you did in the interim, and how you landed at the next job.

Regards,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant

Learn more about me

by idiopat » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:22 pm
Dear Lisa,

Thank You for your valuable advice. Will strongly consider the optional essay.

Warm Regards,

Varun