GMAT Score Drop..700 levels to 510 in real GMAT ? ( How ? )

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi Ron/ Stacey,

I took my GMAT on 25th August and to my surprise, got a score of 510 ( Q 38/ V 22 ), which i cannot imagine in the wildest of dreams. Even if i would have given the GMAT without preparation, i would have still scored higher.

My practise test scores are given below:

GMAT PREP 1 ( 30th July ) - 680 Q 49 / V 32
GMAT PREP 1 Retake ( 7th August ) - 720 Q 49 / V 39
MGMAT 13th Aug - 720 Q 48 / V 40
MGMAT 15th Aug - 680 Q 48 / V 34
MGMAT 17th Aug - 700 Q 46 / V 40
GMATPREP 2 20th Aug - 640 Q / V 28
GMATPREP 2 Retake 22nd Aug - 700 Q 49/ V 37

The last two tests were with the essays part. ( AWA was 5 previously )

Well, i had given GMAT last year and scored 580 ( Q 48/ V 22 )

This time i was pretty confident and calm.

I would like to give some background information on how i felt during the test.

AWA were fine. However, i felt that i got somewhat difficult essays from the pool of essays.

Quant: First question was ok but the second question was quite difficult from set theory. It took me some time to catch up with the test but i was going within the time limit. Around 13th-14th question was a probability question and i was getting mostly DS in later part of the test especially inequalities. I found the questions ok to handle but were not very high difficulty level.

Verbal: Started with two SC, third was CR, the couple of questions followed by RC. Around 10th question was a bold faced CR but i did not bother on how i was performing in the test. I kept on reminding myself that i have to focus on question at hand. On 14th question, got another RC and this continued. Around 25th question was a very long RC with difficult questions. By 30th question, had 16 minutes left. My strategy general was to have 20 min for last 20 questions and rush in between. Finished the test with proper focus on SC and next RC. Cr was a problem to comprehend especially with time constraint.

Clicked on the score and lowest ever score appeared. Gave my test in the afternoon in one of the metro centres.

Following are my questions:

1. Does a test centre with higher 700 test takers expected to have larger pool of difficult questions?
2. Knowing the fact, any particular strategy i should adopt for the next 4-6 weeks so that i am able to crack the exam( > 700 ).
3. How should i ideally consider the time for preparation for strengths and weaknesses ? ( My range of wrong questions in verbal was 8-14 questions )
4. How can i avoid making consecutive questions wrong as we cannot know whether any response is right or wrong?
5. Any other inputs especially for taking some private help are warmly welcome

Look forward to hear from you guys. Any other members please fell free to add your valuable inputs.

Poorv

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:6 members

by prateek_guy2004 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:07 am
1. Does a test centre with higher 700 test takers expected to have larger pool of difficult questions?
A- No, Every test taker get same no. of ques if you have dont 10 difficult ques correct then you will get remaining easy.

2. Knowing the fact, any particular strategy i should adopt for the next 4-6 weeks so that i am able to crack the exam( > 700 ).
A- well your basics look good , stick with the basic...Practice few more get into the habit of reviewing wrong choices as well.

3. How should i ideally consider the time for preparation for strengths and weaknesses ? ( My range of wrong questions in verbal was 8-14 questions )
A- Focus on your weakness , You must know why are you getting a ques wrong, To be honest there no such time limit.

4. How can i avoid making consecutive questions wrong as we cannot know whether any response is right or wrong?
A- You should be 100 active on your present ques, dont think about the comming ques or the previous one.

5. Any other inputs especially for taking some private help are warmly welcome
A- To be honest i dont believe in private prep....You are the best tutor for yourself.....

Get into the habbit of reading each and every options at the time of reviewing,study well dont make it a stress.

chaw
Don't look for the incorrect things that you have done rather look for remedies....

https://www.beatthegmat.com/motivation-t90253.html

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by poorv » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:18 am
Thanks Prateek for your reply.

However, can you still point out the reason for a drop in score. How can i ensure that this doesn't happen again?

Regarding your test centre reply, how can we be sure that GMAC doesnt consider this point since the algorithm is yet to be published or challenged ? What are your inputs on this.

Moreover, doing well and then a sudden drop in score, what does it signify ? Let me know.

Also, i would try to work on my weaknesses. Can you specify the study material now as i have already exhausted the OG. Time is critical this time and want to ensure that i make a substaintial improvement.

Please advise.

Thanks/ Poorv

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:6 members

by prateek_guy2004 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:30 am
poorv wrote:Thanks Prateek for your reply.

However, can you still point out the reason for a drop in score. How can i ensure that this doesn't happen again?

Regarding your test centre reply, how can we be sure that GMAC doesnt consider this point since the algorithm is yet to be published or challenged ? What are your inputs on this.

Moreover, doing well and then a sudden drop in score, what does it signify ? Let me know.

Also, i would try to work on my weaknesses. Can you specify the study material now as i have already exhausted the OG. Time is critical this time and want to ensure that i make a substaintial improvement.

Please advise.

Thanks/ Poorv
Your welcome,

The reason can be test anxiety, physical or mental stress, pressure, thinking too much during the exam of what going to happen or more about scoring algorithm, food mismatch , Less amount of sleep, cant concentrate on questions because mind is not willing too etc....

Well GMAC is equal for every one As far as difficult or easiest ques's are concern....Even in the pool they have fix no. of diff , easy and moderate ques....They will not overdo it with any one....

I think you are taking too much of pressure, or may be your practice session were far away diffrent than the gmat center.

Which are the other books than OG did you refer?

Also as i can see Your verbal broke down......Mgmat is best for verbal, For quant i prefer Kaplan..Also presently i am studying Kaplan 800 nice book.

Chaw
Don't look for the incorrect things that you have done rather look for remedies....

https://www.beatthegmat.com/motivation-t90253.html