Re-Opening Previous SC thread

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Re-Opening Previous SC thread

by gauravgundal » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:10 am
Discussion of greenhouse effects has usually focused on whether the Earth would warm and by how much, but climatologists have indicated all along that the most obvious effects, and those that would have the largest impact on people, would be extremes of temperature, precipitation, and storminess.

a)the most obvious effects, and those that would have the largest impact on people, would be extremes of temperature, precipitation, and storminess.
b) the effects that are the most obvious ones, extremes of temperature, precipitation, and storminess, would be those impacting the most on people.
c) those effects to have the largest impact on people, extremes of temperature, precipitation, and storminess, are what are the most obvious effects.
d) extremes of temperature, precipitation, and storminess, the most obvious effects, that they would have the largest impact on people.
e) extremes of temperature, precipitation, and storminess, which are the most obvious effects, are those to impact the most on people.

[spoiler]OA: A[/spoiler]

I am totally baffled with answer choice A.
I read some comments on answer choice A in different forums. Many say that "and those that would have the largest impact on people" part is modifier.
Is it really a modifier? If so ,how is that?
I penned down answer choice C.
Can Experts/GMAT folks help me to understand the correct answer choice?
It will be helpful to me if you can state reasons for eliminating wrong answer choice

Legendary Member
Followed by:8 members

by saketk » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:36 am
I see two problems with C.

those effects to have the largest impact on people, extremes of temperature, precipitation, and storminess, are what are the most obvious effects. -- the usage of 'Those' is not clear here.. Ideally those should be referring to 'extremes of temperatures, precipitation....'

the latter part looks very awkward to me and grammatically incorrect. 'Are what' doesn't even sounds good to my ear :D

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members

by aspirant2011 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:22 am
I agree with saketk in his explanation

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by mad2011 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:25 pm
Discussion of greenhouse effects has usually focused on whether the Earth would warm and by how much, but climatologists have indicated all along that the most obvious effects, and those that would have the largest impact on people, would be extremes of temperature, precipitation, and storminess.

a)the most obvious effects, and those that would have the largest impact on people, would be extremes of temperature, precipitation, and storminess.
b) the effects that are the most obvious ones, extremes of temperature, precipitation, and storminess, would be those impacting the most on people.
c) those effects to have the largest impact on people, extremes of temperature, precipitation, and storminess, are what are the most obvious effects.
d) extremes of temperature, precipitation, and storminess, the most obvious effects, that they would have the largest impact on people.
e) extremes of temperature, precipitation, and storminess, which are the most obvious effects, are those to impact the most on people.

A looks good

Legendary Member
Followed by:32 members
GMAT Score:760

by avik.ch » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:26 am
gauravgundal wrote:Discussion of greenhouse effects has usually focused on whether the Earth would warm and by how much, but climatologists have indicated all along that the most obvious effects, and those that would have the largest impact on people, would be extremes of temperature, precipitation, and storminess.

[spoiler]OA: A[/spoiler]

I am totally baffled with answer choice A.
I read some comments on answer choice A in different forums. Many say that "and those that would have the largest impact on people" part is modifier.
Is it really a modifier? If so ,how is that?
I penned down answer choice C.
Can Experts/GMAT folks help me to understand the correct answer choice?
It will be helpful to me if you can state reasons for eliminating wrong answer choice

This question from New York Times :

https://www.nytimes.com/1995/05/23/scien ... fect.html- 6th paragraph

The phrase - "those that would have the largest impact on people" is not acting as a modifier as the construction refers.
The climatologist indicated :
- that the most obvious effect
- that would have the largest impact on people.
Though the second phrase actually classifying the effect, it is not an modifier as we cannot start a modifying clause with "and". For E.g
I went to Boston,the most beautiful city.
I went to Boston, and the most beautiful city ( wrong )

since your confusion is about C, it has both modifier problem and stylish error ( redundancy), I will try to explain the construction error in C as far as possible.

1)extremes of temperature, precipitation, and storminess are some example that are sighted , so "such as" should be used or else the phrase "extremes of temperature, precipitation, and storminess" seems to modify "the people"
2) " are what are " - redundant
better - those effects to have the largest impact on people such as extremes of temperature, precipitation, and storminess, are what are the most obvious effects (remove the comma and "what are" )

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:33 am
i received a private message about this problem, in which the original poster has claimed that it is from gmat prep.

before commenting on the question, i'd like to see proof that it really is from an official source. i have my doubts -- i can see above that the sentence has been taken from the new york times, but it has several elements that don't make much sense outside the larger context of the article.

therefore, i'd like to see a screenshot of the problem from the actual software -- or a citation of whatever other source it may have come from -- before commenting on it. thanks.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Legendary Member
Followed by:43 members
GMAT Score:640

by GmatKiss » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:31 am
gauravgundal wrote:Discussion of greenhouse effects has usually focused on whether the Earth would warm and by how much, but climatologists have indicated all along that the most obvious effects, and those that would have the largest impact on people, would be extremes of temperature, precipitation, and storminess.

a)the most obvious effects, and those that would have the largest impact on people, would be extremes of temperature, precipitation, and storminess. - parallel and Active
b) the effects that are the most obvious ones, extremes of temperature, precipitation, and storminess, would be those impacting the most on people. - PASSIVE
c) those effects to have the largest impacton people, extremes of temperature, precipitation, and storminess, are what are the most obvious effects. - Its not direct!!
d) extremes of temperature, precipitation, and storminess, the most obvious effects, that they would have the largest impact on people. - Not direct
e) extremes of temperature, precipitation, and storminess, which are the most obvious effects, are those to impact the most on people. - Changes the meaning
IMO:A

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by zaarathelab » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:38 am
A
Success = Max(Hardwork) + Min(Luck)

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Simpsonsss » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:52 pm
You will not make it.
Pavier Simpson
Nice question