MBA Admissions and Alternative Transcript

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi Lisa,

I have a question about MBA admissions and an alternative transcript. Right now I'm entering my senior year at a well accredited private university. Unfortunately my GPA is around 2.7. However some of my business classes I have received a C in such as, Accounting, Calculus and Stats I. However in Finance I received an A, Stats II was a B, Intro to Business was a A and Management Principles was a A as well. I still have some business classes to go that I plan on doing well in these next two semesters.

I have a very strong desire to go to Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth College. I will have a private tutor this entire year to get ready to take the GMAT and score well on. I will also be doing some humanitarian work in India next summer. Also, I am currently working on developing a smartphone application that will help with some business experience. I would also like to get a non-profit organization going.

I know that I will need some work experience before I start applying and that's what I'm planning on doing. I'm giving myself about 4 years before I start and within that time I plan on learning Spanish and Chinese (Mandarin).

I feel that all of these will help overlook a lower GPA but with all that, I wonder how I'm looking? That's when I read about alternative transcripts. I know that it won't boost my GPA after graduation, but how much will it help and what should I take. I was talking with my brother, who is a top level executive at Novellus Systems and he informed me to take different classes and not to re-take classes I did poorly in. I was wondering your thought on the matter. Any insight you have give will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time Lisa,

Adam

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:04 pm
Dear Adam,

Since you did not do as well in some of your quantitative coursework, you could take calculus and statistics to demonstrate both your command of the subject and ability to earn high marks while working. It is fine that you are retaking them as these are 2 courses that business schools look for specifically and need to see that you have a strong foundation in for the admissions committee to be comfortable you can handle the work. In fact, business school faculty have repeatedly stressed the importance of students knowing calculus prior to the core finance and statistics classes most programs require in the first year.

Hope that helps,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by futurebusinessman » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:33 pm
Thank you Lisa, that does help.

I just want to make sure that I am understanding what you're saying. If I re-take Calculus and Statistics I, I would have a good chance at admission, granted I did well on the GMAT and everything else fell into place such as; working for a non-profit organization, humanitarian work, regular work experience at a good firm, starting a small business with a smartphone application, solid letters of recommendation and learning two more languages. Since I plan on applying for business school in about 4 years, I would like to accomplish all these tasks in that time.

I am aiming for University of Chicago, Northwestern, Harvard and Dartmouth. These are just the top of my list but ones that I really hope to attend. From your experience, do you feel that I would have a chance at an interview? I feel that if I could get the interview with these schools, I would able to impress them face to face.

Thank you again,

Adam

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:28 pm
Dear Adam,

I wish I could say definitively you will or won't get an interview invitation or admission, but I cannot. If you submit a strong, overall package that clearly conveys your rationale for an MBA and your background, as well as differentiates your application from similar applicants, then you have a shot at an interview and admission. Based on your posts, it seems you are on your way to building a competitive foundation. How your admissions decisions ultimately shake out will be based on the strength of your entire application relative to the applicant pool.

Regards,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me