UoP Alum- Please Evaluate My Profile

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

UoP Alum- Please Evaluate My Profile

by kzuloaga4 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:07 pm
I am requesting opinions regarding my profile for MBA applications.

First of all, I graduated from the University of Phoenix with a Bachelor's Degree in Business Management. I understand the University of Phoenix does not have the best reputation, however, when I began my studies there in 2006 I was looking to attend college while taking care of my daughter. This seemed like the best solution, however, in retrospect I don't know that it was the best decision.

Beyond that, I graduated with a 3.4 GPA. I took one MBA course at the University of Phoenix but was not pleased with the program. I received an A in that course. I am taking the GMAT in a few weeks and expect to score in the mid-600 range. I have been employed for about 3 years as an Executive Assistant. I currently work for a non-profit as the Executive Assistant to the SVP. Apart from my work responsibilities, I am also in charge of the Special Events Committee at my work. I am 23 years old.

I spend my weekends volunteering at my church teaching Sunday School to 1st and 2nd graders. I also volunteer as a Room Leader for AWANA's.

Question 1: How will admissions boards look at my undergrad degree considering it is from the University of Phoenix?

Question 2: What are my chances of getting into a B-school such as Loyola or Pepperdine? (UCLA?)

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:07 pm
Dear kzuloaga4,

Well, I have to be honest that you will face some challenges with your profile. On the bright side, the University of Phoenix is accredited, so it is not as dire as attending another for-profit college that is not. However, you are correct that it is perceived to have less rigor than other colleges and universities. It is a plus that you did well there--had you earned less than a 3.3, I think you would face a tougher hurdle to admission. Your GMAT score will be telling to the admissions committees though as it measures your academic aptitude. Scoring 650+ is best and 680+ ideal for you to demonstrate you have the ability to handle a more rigorous curriculum.

The other concern will be your work experience as your position might not be viewed as professional work experience. It is work experience and will be evaluated, but if it does not require a bachelor's degree to perform the job, then it will not be viewed in the same light as the work experience of other applicants. Having said that, if you were working in this role while attending UofP concurrently, then that will be more of a positive for you as it will show you earned solid grades while working full-time in a demanding job.

I do think Pepperdine and Loyola are good targets for you with your background. Your essays, recommendations and interview will be critical pieces in making your case for admission, so use them to your advantage. I think UCLA is probably a big stretch, but you can always visit the campus and talk to admissions professional for more specific guidance there.

Best of luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by kzuloaga4 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:29 pm
Lisa,

I sincerely appreciate your honesty. I was working while attending UoP so hopefully that will help. What do you think my minimum GMAT score could be when applying to Loyola and Pepperdine? I think their admissions requirements are not as stringent as UCLA. I would greatly appreciate your assistance.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:58 pm
You should aim for the mid-50% range of these programs, ideally near or above the average, for your GMAT score. The closer to the school's GMAT average the better, and if you can score above the average, then you will be in the best position. Also, scoring well on the GMAT will further demonstrate you have the academic aptitude to succeed in the program.

Best of luck!
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me