Kaplan 800

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:690

Kaplan 800

by gmatjeet » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:34 am
Out of the public's interest in details of and conflicts in other people's lives have grown a booming market for "reality" television shows that are bringing "regular" people onto the television screen with increasing frequency.
(a) other people's lives have grown a booming market for "reality" television shows,which are bringing
(b) other people's lives has grown a booming market for "reality" television shows,which are bringing
(c) another person's life has grown a booming market for "reality" television shows,which is bringing
(d) other people's lives has grown a booming market for "reality" television shows,which is bringing
(e) other people's lives has grown a booming market for "reality" television shows,which bring

Can someone help me understand what is WHICH referring to?

Isnt it referring to Shows?

OA D

Source Kaplan 800

(I have seen different version of the problem in BTG posts. But those are with the modifier "THAT". So please do not refer to those posts)

Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:610

by singh181 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:50 am
gmatjeet wrote:
OA D
are you sure D is correct? I thought B is correct.
"Which" refers to noun just before it. in D "which is" refers to "Shows", which is plural.

Followed by:4 members

by akhilsuhag » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:57 am
D is correct.

1st the subject is Interest.. which HAS grown

2nd The subject is Market... which IS bringing regular people and is

So, Interest HAS grown and Market IS bringing. Hence D

I hope the post helps!!
Please press "thanks" if you think my post has helped you.. Cheers!!

Followed by:4 members

by akhilsuhag » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:00 am
"For reality television shows" just modifies the main subject MARKET.
Maybe that is what is causing the confusion.
Please press "thanks" if you think my post has helped you.. Cheers!!

Legendary Member
Followed by:43 members
GMAT Score:640

by GmatKiss » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:38 am
Could easily breakdown to B and D

(b) other people's lives has grown a booming market for "reality" television shows,which are bringing
(d) other people's lives has grown a booming market for "reality" television shows,which is bringing

IS made me choose D
IMO:D

by gmatjeet » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:24 am
akhilsuhag : How do you decide that Market is the subject instead of television shows?

Isnt the ,WHICH....... modifier supposed to modify the nearest noun?

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

by mundasingh123 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:39 am
lastly how do we find out whether the shows are bringing people or the market is bringing people .
Both interpretations make sense
I Seek Explanations Not Answers

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members

by aspirant2011 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:30 am
u can find the subject in a sentence by hiding the portion coming after preposition for...... over here in the sentence if u see market for reality tv shows then u can hide portion in red..........

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

by mundasingh123 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:38 am
aspirant2011 wrote:u can find the subject in a sentence by hiding the portion coming after preposition for...... over here in the sentence if u see market for reality tv shows then u can hide portion in red..........
i am not talking about finding the subject for a verb .I am talking about finding the noun being modified by the THAT M odifier
I Seek Explanations Not Answers

Legendary Member
Followed by:53 members

by Frankenstein » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:42 am
aspirant2011 wrote:u can find the subject in a sentence by hiding the portion coming after preposition for...... over here in the sentence if u see market for reality tv shows then u can hide portion in red..........
Hi,
I guess everyone is clear that the subject is booming market. That's is the reason every one chose options with 'has'. However, the thing that is unclear is: what does 'which' refer to? It can logically refer to either 'booming market' or reality 'television shows'. Both are present in options. That is what makes this question confusing.

@OP: Why does original sentence contain 'that' and option A contain 'which'? Is this question fabricated ?
Cheers!

Things are not what they appear to be... nor are they otherwise

Legendary Member

by Frankenstein » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:54 am
Hey guys,

I guess we don't need to worry about this question. Refer to Ron's post at:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/reality-tele ... 54890.html
Cheers!

by gmatjeet » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:58 am
@ Frankeistein: There is a difference between that post and this version.

Read my last comments in the original post -(I have seen different version of the problem in BTG posts. But those are with the modifier "THAT". So please do not refer to those posts)

I have verified in Kaplan 800 and the version which i have posted is correct. Please answer the query regarding what does WHICH modify?

Legendary Member

by Frankenstein » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:04 am
gmatjeet wrote:@ Frankeistein: There is a difference between that post and this version.

Read my last comments in the original post -(I have seen different version of the problem in BTG posts. But those are with the modifier "THAT". So please do not refer to those posts)

I have verified in Kaplan 800 and the version which i have posted is correct. Please answer the query regarding what does WHICH modify?
Hi,

In fact, I have read you comments at the end. Whatever be the source, original sentence and option A should always be the same. That is not the case here. You must have mistyped this. Perhaps you should check it again. I have already posted my view regarding 'which'. It can refer to either of those. It is impossible for me to choose one over the other. Both B and D are equally good.
Cheers!