Give up with Gmat!!!

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Give up with Gmat!!!

by Margaret » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:13 pm
Hello,

I just took a gmat prep and scored 310(Q24, V12)what a shame! I am very disappointed with my score, I did not study verbal at all and here is what it is but I've studied quant a lot and still nothing. I think I am not smart enough for that exam. It is time to say good bye!

Good luck everyone!

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members

by smackmartine » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:35 pm
Margaret wrote:Hello,

I just took a gmat prep and scored 310(Q24, V12)what a shame! I am very disappointed with my score, I did not study verbal at all and here is what it is but I've studied quant a lot and still nothing. I think I am not smart enough for that exam. It is time to say good bye!

Good luck everyone!
Hey Margaret,
Sad to know about your score. However, if you leave the battle without knowing your weaknesses , how can you say whether you are smart enough for the exam? .By saying that you did not practice verbal, you are contradicting your own conclusion that you are not smart.You just did not prepare.If you prepare well, I am sure you'll do it.I would suggest you to ask some experts or check out the study strategy section in order to know how people have improved their scores,and how they have been able to get into their dream schools. I wish you don't end your journey here. I think you should fight back and prove your own conclusion wrong about your smartness.What do you say??
All the very best!
Smack is Back ...
It takes time and effort to explain, so if my comment helped you please press Thanks button :)

Legendary Member

by smackmartine » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:04 pm
Thanks for the "thanks" :), but I want to hear about your take on my comments above. What is going on in your mind regarding retake/prep/tutoring/books/study habits/...............?
Smack is Back ...
It takes time and effort to explain, so if my comment helped you please press Thanks button :)

by Margaret » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:15 pm
I have already hired a tutor from India. We went over some quant but when I saw the score today I was shocked..... started crying!

Legendary Member

by smackmartine » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:38 pm
You should not get disheartened at all. MGMT books are really a good start. They take you from basics to advance level.In fact most of the GMAT problems are easier than those of MGMT. Try understanding one topic at a time. Don't rush!.Take a diagnostic test from OG12 and find out your weak areas. Finally,keep a positive attitude(after all GMAT is all about attitude). Once you conquer the fear, your goal will be near.(Wao! I didn't know I can write poems!). This forum is great. If you face problems in understanding any topic, you'll get tons of people to help you out.

-Smack
Smack is Back ...

by Margaret » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:45 pm
Thank you so much Smack!

I have to go over the quant again I guess....then work on verbal as well.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:700

by prodizy » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:45 pm
Hey,

Don't give up. Almost all complex problems can be solved by breaking down them into pieces and solving them one by one. Obviously not every one can score 750+ given the time constraints. But I firmly believe that anyone can score below that with combination of hard work, smart work and dedication.

First of all decide how much time do you have to take GMAT. Then decide a target score based on the colleges you planning to apply. Yesterday I attended a Stanford info session in which the adcom officer told me that they admitted students with a GMAT score of 500. The adcoms are not looking for brainiacs. If you have a good overall application then your GMAT score is not going to be a hindrance unless you apply to a school that wants to boost their GMAT scores. I "think" a safe score for you to apply to any top university is 650+. You can actually decide correctly as you know more about yourself than anyone.

Now coming back to the GMAT, start with Manhattan math guides. They are EXCELLENT. They helped me to go from 540 to 710 in GMAT prep tests in a span of three weeks. Don't rush to take tests. Master each sub topic one by one. Practice extensively. Do OG questions from each and every topic to check whether you are able to apply the learned concepts or not. Go through EACH and EVERY answer explanations in OG. Quant is something one can improve in a short span. In Verbal it is more difficult to do so but can be done. Try solving verbal questions logically basing on their meaning rather than try to apply thousands of grammatical rules. And see how it goes. Think of it like this: What's the fun if you score 750 in the first mock test you take? What will you learn from it? GMAT is one of the great journeys you will undertake in your life.

Most importantly GMAT is just a test and it's not perfect. Move on if you don't like it but before that take a GENUINE crack at it. Nelson Mandela or Gandhi might not crack the GMAT, but they are great leaders. If you have the dedication in you to become a leader/manager/problem solver, you will become one with or without GMAT.

All the best. Hoping to follow your progress.

Thanks,
Prodizy

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:6 members

by prateek_guy2004 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:43 am
Margaret wrote:Hello,

Good luck everyone!
Hi

Its not a shame at all......GMAT is about Techniques and strategies once you master them you will get big scores.

To be honest i prepared for my 1st gmat prep score was 320 too ..after preparing for 2 months my scores were 340. I was'ent dissaponted to see that..but i knew that something is wrong...I brushed up my basics and scored 510 after a month.....after practicing a reading few nice books 2 weeks back i scored 620 on gmat prep....so you see i am just saying that scores are just temprory ...its the techniques and strategy that lasts forever...

So cheer up and start mastering gmat give yourself plenty of time to absorb new things then practice them well.......

Periodically check yourself through mock tests..

I am sure this time you will score 2 * 320 atleast..

Chaw

by Margaret » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:30 am
Thank you all for your nice responses! They made me feel better!

Margaret