Job Dissatisfaction Among Employees at Company P

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
A confidential survey revealed that 75 percent of the employees of Company P are dissatisfied with their jobs. However, an investigation into the working conditions of the company showed nothing uncommonly bad. Therefore, Company P's consulting firm concluded that the employees' dissatisfaction must result from an unusually high incidence of psychological problems on their part.

Each of the following, if true, casts doubt on the consulting firm's conclusion EXCEPT:

A. In the investigation of the working conditions, no account was taken of the fact that for the past year many Company P employees worked on a joint venture with Company O, at Company O's facilities.

B. Workers in many companies are dissatisfied although there are no apparent problems with their working conditions.

C. The consulting firm's conception of what constitutes uncommonly bad working conditions are not identical to that of Company P's employees.

D. The reasons given by Company P's employees for their dissatisfaction varied greatly from employee to employee

E. A battery of tests performed on Acme's employees one month ago revealed no significant psychological stresses or problems.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by gmatutor » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:46 pm
Company P's consulting firm concluded that the employees' dissatisfaction must result from an unusually high incidence of psychological problems on their part
Where does this question come from? The conclusion, arguably the most important part of the argument, is unclear.

The way it is written it is not clear if the consulting firm or the employees suffer from psychological problems. While I believe the intent was the employees, this sentence is not clear. :(

We could of course consider the possibility that consultants concluded that they themselves have psychological problems, which is a little nonsensical but entertaining nonetheless.

by kiranlegend » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:51 pm
IMO D

is it correct? what's oa? put a spoiler wiht OA if you want to:)

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by john1234 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:17 pm
The correct answer is A.
Other answer choices cast doubt on the conclusion except A.
Even impossible says I M possible

Legendary Member

by raunekk » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:03 am
I dont see how D casts a doubt...

It says,

The reasons given by Company P's employees for their dissatisfaction varied greatly from employee to employee

That means, dissatisfaction is still there...but doesnt tell us if its psychological problems or sumthing else...

It Doesnt weaken the conclusion...Its quite neutral in its meaning...

thx

IMO:D

by Vignesh.4384 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:42 am
IMO D

by beeparoo » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:07 am
Hi everyone - thanks for offering your thoughts.

The OA is D.

The question source is Kaplan. I hear what you're saying about the ineffective sentence construction.

I questioned choice E and its relevancy to this problem:
"E. A battery of tests performed on Acme's employees one month ago revealed no significant psychological stresses or problems."

I mean, so what if Acme's employees did not demonstrate psychological problems while testing? How is that relevant to our focus, that is, Company P?

I hate getting frustrated on CR questions... *grumble grumble*

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Ancientmtk » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:08 am
How does E have any relevance to the question?

I chose D, but E is no doubt out of scope..... wtf is going on here?

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by gmattestprep » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:00 pm
Choices B and D don't cast a doubt. D is neutral as pointed out by raunekk, and B could have been in favor of the firm but is out of scope.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Grading employers is getting more and more popular now days on the internet as employees are looking for ways to vent anonymously outside the workplace; or even commend their employers.

If you're one of those persons that have the nerve to grade your employer please do so at LeafsOfTalent.com.

The site is user friendly and the grading process is quick after the initial sign-up. Sign-up as a non-member to avoid subscription fees. Visit site at https://www.leafsoftalent.com/gpgpr.cfm 8)

Best regards,
LeafBuilder-

GMAT Score:610

by Jatinder » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:56 pm
Can somebody explains the reason of eliminating B?

Thanks in advance
Jatinder
Keep flying

by Mayur Sand » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:17 pm
IMO (E) was correct whats the OA?

GMAT Score:600

by viju9162 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:28 am
Answer will be D .

Jatinder, B can be eliminated because it says that workers in many companies are dissatisfied for no apparent reasons.

First, it talks about many companies. However, we are discussing about company P here.

Secondly, they are dissatisfied because of no apparent reasons. This doesn't mean that they have physcological problems.
"Native of" is used for a individual while "Native to" is used for a large group

GMAT Score:600

by viju9162 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:29 am
Answer will be D .

Jatinder, B can be eliminated because it says that workers in many companies are dissatisfied for no apparent reasons.

First, it talks about many companies. However, we are discussing about company P here.

Secondly, they are dissatisfied because of no apparent reasons. This doesn't mean that they have physcological problems.
"Native of" is used for a individual while "Native to" is used for a large group

GMAT Score:740

by Domnu » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:22 am
I don't see how D could possibly be the answer.. E is completely out of scope.
Have you wondered how you could have found such a treasure? -T