Modfier

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members
GMAT Score:740

Modfier

by force5 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:07 am
Hailed as a key discovery in the science of evolution, the fossils of a large scaly creature resembling both a fish and a land-animal provide evidence of a possible link in the evolutionary chain from water-based to land-based organisms.
(A)the fossils of a large scaly creature resembling both a fish and a land-animal provide evidence of

(E)the fossils of a large scaly creature resemble both a fish and a land-animal and provide evidence of

i want to discuss this question with these two choices. Please give your inputs.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by venmic » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:16 am
my take on this would be

(A)the fossils of a large scaly creature resembling both a fish and a land-animal provide evidence of

the fossils [of a large scaly creature resembling both a fish and a land-animal] provide evidence of

--> The fossils PROVIDE evidence of whatever

(E)the fossils [of a large scaly creature resemble both a fish and a land-animal ] and provide evidence of

--> akward construction

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members

by aspirant2011 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:44 am
force5 wrote:Hailed as a key discovery in the science of evolution, the fossils of a large scaly creature resembling both a fish and a land-animal provide evidence of a possible link in the evolutionary chain from water-based to land-based organisms.
(A)the fossils of a large scaly creature resembling both a fish and a land-animal provide evidence of ------- resembling is the wrong usage over here

(E)the fossils of a large scaly creature resemble both a fish and a land-animal and provide evidence of ------ this is right because it states two things (qualities of fossils) i.e fossils resemble X and Y and provide evidence of blah blah blah

i want to discuss this question with these two choices. Please give your inputs.

by crick » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:33 pm
I will go with A here.

The key discovery in the sentence are the fossils of a creature which resembles both fish and land-animal. Hence resembling is correct usage.

Hailed as a key discovery in the science of evolution, the fossils of a large scaly creature resembling both a fish and a land-animal provide evidence .......

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:640

by HSPA » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:03 pm
fossils - provide .. both are plural.. so good

Creature = singlular = resembles

IMO: "A creature 'that' resembles both a fish and a dog"

Some connectivity in the original sentense and in options is missing.
First take: 640 (50M, 27V) - RC needs 300% improvement
Second take: coming soon..
Regards,
HSPA.

Legendary Member

by force5 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:12 am
hi everyone...

I'm really on a fix on this one. Its again question that is not clear expression.

choice 1

the fossils of a large scaly creature resembling both a fish and a land-animal provide evidence of

I think its a good sentence and it doesn't have any grammatical error. The fossils ....provide evidence. Just one question i have here- what is resembling modifying? Is it modifying "creature" or is it modifying "fossils" What is the way of identifying it? If someone can please share....

(E)the fossils of a large scaly creature resemble both a fish and a land-animal and provide evidence of
this choice on the other hand makes "resemble" and "provide" parallel to "fossils". Again i can't rule this choice out because it isn't incorrect. Even if you see what do they mean -- fossils can Resemble something.... and provide evidence of something....

so which one to choose?

Legendary Member

by aspirant2011 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:40 am
force5 wrote:hi everyone...

choice 1

the fossils of a large scaly creature resembling both a fish and a land-animal provide evidence of

I think its a good sentence and it doesn't have any grammatical error. The fossils ....provide evidence. Just one question i have here- what is resembling modifying? Is it modifying "creature" or is it modifying "fossils" What is the way of identifying it? If someone can please share....
If I read sentence logically then resembling modifies fossils

Followed by:1 members

by czarczar » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:43 am
force5 wrote:Hailed as a key discovery in the science of evolution, the fossils of a large scaly creature resembling both a fish and a land-animal provide evidence of a possible link in the evolutionary chain from water-based to land-based organisms.

I think option E is correct.

Option A means that creature but not the fossils resemble both a fish and a land-animal.

Legendary Member
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:700

by bubbliiiiiiii » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:03 am

My take is A is appropriate.

Hailed as a key discovery in the science of evolution, the fossils of a large scaly creature resembling both a fish and a land-animal provide evidence of a possible link in the evolutionary chain from water-based to land-based organisms.

The statement in blue modifies the creature.
Regards,

Pranay

Legendary Member
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:700

by bubbliiiiiiii » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:05 am
Moreover, option E has wrong comparison. It compares the fossils with fish and a land animal.

Thus, conveys wrong meaning.
Regards,

Pranay

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by gmat1978 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:30 pm
I have the same question about choice 1 mentioned below by force5. I am especially interested in the following - "how do we identify whether "resembling" is modifying the creature or fossils". Can anyone please help by providing couple of examples?

Thanks
force5 wrote:hi everyone...

I'm really on a fix on this one. Its again question that is not clear expression.

choice 1

Followed by:1 members

by ntamhane » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:31 pm
Would go for A.
As the subject the verb goes provide evidence goes correctly with the the subject fossils.

Legendary Member

by force5 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:54 am
still waiting for an expert to answer..... i see some people still have some confusion.

by sungoal » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:21 am
Hi force5,

"resembling both a fish and a land-animal" is a participial phrase because it is starting with the present participle "resembling". According to the Grammar rules Participial phrases always modify immediate noun preceding them if participial phrases are not separated from the nouns with a 'comma'.

So "resembling both a fish and a land-animal" is a modifier in this question

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:59 am

A comparison must compare APPLES TO APPLES: it must compare the right two things.
E states that the FOSSILS...resemble both a FISH and a LAND-ANIMAL.
The FOSSILS themselves do not resemble both a fish and a land-animal; the CREATURE resembles both a fish and a land-animal.
Eliminate A.

In A, resembling modifies creature, so the comparison is correct: a large scaly CREATURE resembling both a FISH and a LAND-ANIMAL.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3