Knewton Goatskin

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

Knewton Goatskin

by mundasingh123 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:29 am
In the ruins of the city-state of Assur, in Ancient Assyria, archaeologists found dried goatskin dating back 3800 years. Analysis of the goatskins showed that they had an unusual pH level that was no lower than that of the calcium carbonate mixture produced by grinding cowrie shells, the most common seashells found on the shore of the Tigris river that runs through Assur. Some believe that this is evidence the Assyrians engaged in the practice of "liming" animal skins: soaking them in alkaline solutions made from crushed seashells in order to create parchment that could be traded with nearby civilizations.

Which of the following, if true, would, together with the information above, provide the best evidence for the claim that the dried goatskins are evidence that the Assyrians engaged in the practice of "liming" animal skins?

A)The calcium carbonate from the cowrie shell is the most common chemical used in modern-day "liming" of parchment and leather.
B)Apart from the Assur discovery, there is reliable evidence that some ancient civilizations, such as the Babylonians, practiced "liming."
C)The goatskins were found in huts that contained equipment known to have been used by Assyrian tradesmen and chemists.
D)Calcium carbonate mixtures of different concentrations can produce a wide range of pH levels in alkaline solutions.
E)Archaeologists matched the goatskins to goat skeletons found on the outskirts of Assur on the banks of the Tigris River.

Could someone please tell how to tackle such strengthen questions. I am aware of the techniques that can be used to tackle weakening/Assumptions/Inferences
But Could someone lay out a blue print for tackling such strengthen quests as this one
I Seek Explanations Not Answers

Legendary Member

by mundasingh123 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:05 pm
BUMP !

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by ranjit_ece » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:41 pm
mundasingh123 wrote:In the ruins of the city-state of Assur, in Ancient Assyria, archaeologists found dried goatskin dating back 3800 years. Analysis of the goatskins showed that they had an unusual pH level that was no lower than that of the calcium carbonate mixture produced by grinding cowrie shells, the most common seashells found on the shore of the Tigris river that runs through Assur. Some believe that this is evidence the Assyrians engaged in the practice of "liming" animal skins: soaking them in alkaline solutions made from crushed seashells in order to create parchment that could be traded with nearby civilizations.

Which of the following, if true, would, together with the information above, provide the best evidence for the claim that the dried goatskins are evidence that the Assyrians engaged in the practice of "liming" animal skins?

A)The calcium carbonate from the cowrie shell is the most common chemical used in modern-day "liming" of parchment and leather.
B)Apart from the Assur discovery, there is reliable evidence that some ancient civilizations, such as the Babylonians, practiced "liming."
C)The goatskins were found in huts that contained equipment known to have been used by Assyrian tradesmen and chemists.
D)Calcium carbonate mixtures of different concentrations can produce a wide range of pH levels in alkaline solutions.
E)Archaeologists matched the goatskins to goat skeletons found on the outskirts of Assur on the banks of the Tigris River.

Could someone please tell how to tackle such strengthen questions. I am aware of the techniques that can be used to tackle weakening/Assumptions/Inferences
But Could someone lay out a blue print for tackling such strengthen quests as this one

I can try to disect it like any other argument

Conclusion : the Assyrians engaged in the practice of "liming" animal skins
Evidence : IN my own words : goatskins showed high pH, identical to the solution of CaCO3 prepared from seashell of Tigris river

Assumption : There was no other reason for that pH level

I am looking for following type of strengthners
a) that can deny any other reasons for high pH on goatskin
b) That can support the high pH on goatskin was actually because the skins have been chemically treated

Only option C supports b) above.

Legendary Member

by mundasingh123 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:07 am
But C doesnt fit into either
a) that can deny any other reasons for high pH on goatskin
or
b) That can support the high pH on goatskin was actually because the skins have been chemically treated

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by killer1387 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:18 am
Only option C strengthens the conclusion that the Assyrians were engaged in the practice of "liming" animal skins, by providing additional clue of goatskins being found at huts. All other options plays no noticeable role.

Legendary Member

by mundasingh123 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:27 am
Everybody getting the right answer , are u using any particular technique for finding the answers to such strengthen questions.
For example for weaken questions you must bring to light some possibility that the author has'nt considered .
For assumption question u must either bridge the gap between premise and conclusion or make it certain that certain things that would weaken the conclusion are prevented

What abhout this strengthen question

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members
GMAT Score:640

by HSPA » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:39 am
It shall be E though it does not talk about liming

C is not correct becuase the goat skin in the hut might have got imported and the people there never might made their own material.
First take: 640 (50M, 27V) - RC needs 300% improvement
Second take: coming soon..
Regards,
HSPA.

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by killer1387 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:06 am
Whats the OA??

Legendary Member

by mundasingh123 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:45 am
OA C

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by mathewmithun » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:45 pm
A)The calcium carbonate from the cowrie shell is the most common chemical used in modern-day "liming" of parchment and leather.-we are talking abt 3800yrs old activity, so not A
B)Apart from the Assur discovery, there is reliable evidence that some ancient civilizations, such as the Babylonians, practiced "liming." -Just because Babylonians did, does not support our requirement
C)The goatskins were found in huts that contained equipment known to have been used by Assyrian tradesmen and chemists.-gives best relation to liming and assyrian connected by equipment used
D)Calcium carbonate mixtures of different concentrations can produce a wide range of pH levels in alkaline solutions. -irrelevant
E)Archaeologists matched the goatskins to goat skeletons found on the outskirts of Assur on the banks of the Tigris River. irrelevant

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by akhilsuhag » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:24 am
Hi,

Can you plz share the official explanation for this !!

It would be really helpfull and where in the knewton course did you encounter this problem.

Thanks!!
Please press "thanks" if you think my post has helped you.. Cheers!!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by mathewmithun » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:40 am
hi akhil

I don't have this... the originator of this thread might be helpful...

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by mankey » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:46 pm
Request some expert to help with resolving C vs E confusion.

Regards.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Raghu9 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:12 am
Its a matter of connecting goatskin that was found with Assyrian. C does that well.