Profile Evaluation

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Evaluation

by Cocoravi » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:32 pm
Hi, I just took GMAT tonight and would like to have some feedback about my chances in getting the following schools:

GPA: 3.2 Major in Accounting in California State University
I'm a CPA work in a local firm as senior auditor for 4 years
GMAT: 690 Verbal 74% Quant 85%
I'm asian and was born out of State.

I would like to apply:

UCLA
Columbia
NYU
USC

What are my chances in getting into these schools? Should I retake GMAT since I have a low GPA? Does having CPA certification helps?

Thanks!

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:30 am
Dear Cocoravi,

Your GMAT and GPA are in the competitive range for the 4 schools noted in your post, although both are slightly below average for these programs. Since admissions decisions are made on more than these numbers, you do have the rest of your application to strengthen your profile and make a compelling case for your admission. Your CPA will further demonstrate your aptitude and analytical/quantitative proficiency. Whether or not a GMAT retake would make a difference depends on several factors: how you assess the rest of your profile to stack up to the competition, how strong you believe the rest of your application will be, and if you are confident you can increase your score without sacrificing the quality of your essays. If you are concerned with the strength of your application and think you can increase your score, then it is probably worth the investment to retake.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me