Profile Evaluation Request

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Evaluation Request

by spartan13 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:27 pm
Hi Stacy,

I am planning to apply in Round 1 for Fall 2012 admission. I am seeking feedback on my chances of admit to some of the top business schools. Here is a brief background:

I have an undergraduate degree in Engineering from University of Mumbai and a Masters Degree (GPA 3.66) in Math from Michigan State. I took the GMAT yesterday and scored a 700 (90%) with a quant score of 49 (85%) and a verbal score of 36 (79%). I have worked with one of the Big 4 accounting firms as a consultant for a little over a year and currently working for a health insurance company as an Actuary for about 3.5 years. I have a strong background in Risk Management and have work experience related to cost trend reporting and forecasting, and developing capital plans. I am expecting to get my professional certification (ASA - Associate of Society of Actuaries) by November of this year. I have a keen interest in investments and wish to pursue the Investment Management track post MBA. I am planning to apply to the following schools:
HBS
Wharton
Chicago Booth
MIT
Yale
Columbia
London Business School

Can you please comment on my chances of admission to any of the above schools? Your feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Jimish

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:55 am
Dear Jimish,

You certainly have a competitive GMAT, GPA and work experience profile for your target schools. However, decisions are made on the entire package. Be sure each piece of your application is the best it can be and presents your background effectively. I do encourage you to think about your school list as it is currently all highly selective programs. It is prudent for any applicant to have more of a mix of schools to increase the likelihood you will be in business school.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by spartan13 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:16 pm
Thank you very much for your feedback Lisa! What other schools should I consider given my goal of breaking into the Investment Management industry? I thought of the following schools:

Berkeley - Haas
NYU - Stern
UCLA - Anderson

Can you please suggest other schools and comment on my chances of admission to the above schools? I really appreciate your help.

Regards,

Jimish

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:13 am
Dear Jimish,

Haas, Stern and Anderson are also highly selective. For programs that are in the more reasonable or safety range for you, you should be looking at schools where the GMAT average is below 690, the selectivity percentage is above 30%, and there are established ties to the investment management industry.

Regards,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me