Kaplan 800 vc. Kaplan Advanced

Ask your questions about Kaplan products/services here
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Kaplan 800 vc. Kaplan Advanced

by billiejean » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:14 am
Hello everyone,

I would like to know what was the difference between the Kaplan 800 and Kaplan Advanced books.

I am interested in buying the Kaplan 800, but I could only find the Kaplan Advanced in the bookstore.

Are they the same? Would Kaplan Advanced be as or more useful than Kaplan 800 for someone that is targetting a 750+ score?

Cheers,

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aim-wsc » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:34 pm
I'm keen to find out its answer as well!
To me, it looks like 'Kaplan GMAT 800' is now 'Kaplan Advanced' all-new-just-name-changed, with essentially the same content, same strategies for same category of students (^made for brightests^) Well, nothing wrong in that, I personally have been recommending Kaplan GMAT 800 book since the beginning. It's one of my favourites.

Like billiejean I could not find it on Kaptest.com's online store.
But it's still available in Amazon Store. At amazon, the new copy of GMAT 800 starts from $134!! :shock:
GMAT Advanced however costs around $15. :?:

Legendary Member

by aim-wsc » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:43 am
If this thread doesn't belong to this place, I would've moved it to lounge area. But I believe somebody from Kaplan certainly know about it more.
I hope to get answer/response here. :)

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:62 members

by KapTeacherEli » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:13 pm
Hi guys,

As a classroom teacher, I don't get too many opportunities to play around with our on-the-shelf books. However, I've forwarded this message on, so you should get a response shortly!
Eli Meyer
Kaplan GMAT Teacher
Cambridge, MA
www.kaptest.com/gmat

ImageImageImage

Legendary Member

by aim-wsc » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:04 am
Thanks Eli,
I am waiting for the response.

Legendary Member

by aim-wsc » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:57 am
this question/thread is open for more than 2 months & we haven't receive proper answer.. :?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:614 members
GMAT Score:800

by Stuart@KaplanGMAT » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:25 pm
Hi!

Sorry for the slow reply - feel free to PM me directly if you have general Kaplan questions (or PM me to remind me to check this forum!).

Yes, the Kaplan 800 book was renamed the Kaplan Advanced book for the current edition. While the newest edition has some revisions, it's the same series.

Stuart Kovinsky | Kaplan GMAT Faculty | Toronto

Kaplan Exclusive: The Official Test Day Experience | Ready to Take a Free Practice Test? | Kaplan/Beat the GMAT Member Discount
BTG100 for $100 off a full course

by StuckInALoopHole » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:32 am
Can someone please tell me the difference between the GMAT 800(by Kaplan) (I think now called Kaplan Advanced) and Kaplan Premier Program books?

Is it true that the only difference is that one comes with a CD and the other without? Perhaps people who have used one or both of these resources could shed some light? (In India, both the books on the shelves do not have a CD but the ones on Amazon do). Is the Kaplan Advanced, as the name suggests, more advanced? and is the GMAT 800 off the market?

Which one of these would you recommend? - Kaplan Advanced or the Kaplan Premier Program book? (and why?).

thank you!
- A confused soul

P.s- did any of you above (AIM-WS, BillieJean) get a clear answer to your question? I'm still looking! :-(

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:614 members
GMAT Score:800

by Stuart@KaplanGMAT » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:56 am
StuckInALoopHole wrote:Can someone please tell me the difference between the GMAT 800(by Kaplan) (I think now called Kaplan Advanced) and Kaplan Premier Program books?

Is it true that the only difference is that one comes with a CD and the other without? Perhaps people who have used one or both of these resources could shed some light? (In India, both the books on the shelves do not have a CD but the ones on Amazon do). Is the Kaplan Advanced, as the name suggests, more advanced? and is the GMAT 800 off the market?

Which one of these would you recommend? - Kaplan Advanced or the Kaplan Premier Program book? (and why?).

thank you!
- A confused soul

P.s- did any of you above (AIM-WS, BillieJean) get a clear answer to your question? I'm still looking! :-(
Hi,

Kaplan Advanced (which used to be called Kaplan 800) is geared toward test takers who have already mastered the basics of the GMAT and are looking to push themselves to the next level. This resource is not intended to be used by everyone, just those who are already ahead of the game. If you're not already scoring 600+, then this is not the book for you.

Kaplan Premier Program is a more comprehensive guide to the GMAT. The materials certainly include high level questions, but the Premier Program is designed for everyone who can't avail him/herself of a course and wants as much guidance and practice as possible.

Many test takers start out with the Premier Program and then move to Advanced when appropriate.

Stuart Kovinsky | Kaplan GMAT Faculty | Toronto

Kaplan Exclusive: The Official Test Day Experience | Ready to Take a Free Practice Test? | Kaplan/Beat the GMAT Member Discount
BTG100 for $100 off a full course

by 801 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:03 am
Hi,

I am runnning out of time in my preparation and I still want to do some practice with Kaplan 800/Advanced, especially with the verbal part.

I really hope that somebody can post a list of the most difficult verbal questions from the point of his own experience. It would really save me time, as everybody says that the book is not organized in an order of difficulty.

Thanks a lot!

GMAT Instructor

by KapTeacherEli » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:38 pm
Hi 801,

This probably isn't the best forum for you--if you're looking for other student's experiences with the Kaplan 800 book, the Verbal Strategy section of the boards are more likely to help you. That said, if you're having any trouble understanding any questions or working any of Kaplan's resources, don't hesitate to ask us here!

Good luck!
Eli Meyer
Kaplan GMAT Teacher
Cambridge, MA
www.kaptest.com/gmat

ImageImageImage

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:6 members

by prateek_guy2004 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:06 pm
Hi

i need to know that with kaplan 800 will i get access to 6 online mock tests.....

i am planing to write gmat in 2 months so should i buy kaplan premier 11 or 12....

Thanks

GMAT Instructor

by KapTeacherEli » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:54 am
Hi Prateek,

Kaplan 800 does not include the tests; however, you can pick up Kaplan GMAT premier for access to 6 full length tests.
Eli Meyer
Kaplan GMAT Teacher
Cambridge, MA
www.kaptest.com/gmat

ImageImageImage

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:6 members

by prateek_guy2004 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:58 am
KapTeacherEli wrote:Hi Prateek,

Kaplan 800 does not include the tests; however, you can pick up Kaplan GMAT premier for access to 6 full length tests.
Thank you