Paradox Question

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:620

Paradox Question

by nitin9003 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:32 am
On a recent expedition to a remote region of northern Canada, scientists uncovered skeletal remains from about 100,000 years ago. Surprisingly, all the skeletal remains, which included many species from differing biological families and spanned about two thousand years, showed evidence of experiencing temperatures in excess of 1000 degrees Fahrenheit (or 538 degrees Celsius).
Which of the following, if true, best explains the apparent paradox between the cold environment and the evidence of the bones experiencing hot temperatures?

A)Other scientific research released two years before the expedition showed that the remote region of northern Canada underwent considerable warming in the past 100,000 years.

B)Chemical changes that naturally occur during the process of decay in only one north Canadian species produce the same evidence of the species' skeletons being exposed to hot temperatures as the expedition scientists found.

C)A little over 103,000 years ago, a large fire is known to have occurred in northern Canada.

D)Strong evidence exists that as early as 70,000 years ago, Homo sapiens around the world relied heavily on fire to cook animals.

E)In the same expedition and in roughly the same layer of excavation, scientists found rudimentary wood cutting and hunting tools used by early humans.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:365 members

by VivianKerr » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:51 pm
Let's examine this paradox provided by the evidence:

- skeletal remains from 100,000 years ago in Canada
- ALL remains(spanned 2000 years & diff. bio) ---> experienced high temps

WHY could this be true?

PREDICTION: - If bones were heated AFTER death, caused by natural phenomena, or if heat lasted span of 2000 years then cooled off

Look for the choice that "best explains" and offers some info along the lines of our prediction.

A. Does not explain high heat.
B. Does not explain multiple species.
C. One fire could not last 2000 years.
D. This is too recent.
E. Correct. Humans in area for a span of time - humans could have heated bones over span of 2000 years. "wood cutting and hunting" implies humans killed and cooked the animals. Unlike D, this deals with the correct time period.

Even though E is correct, I would say that in this case it's more a question of the other 4 choices being wrong than E being a perfect answer. Where is this question from? We are after all assuming that early humans could heat animal bones to 1000 degrees+ !
Vivian Kerr
GMAT Rockstar, Tutor
https://www.GMATrockstar.com
https://www.yelp.com/biz/gmat-rockstar-los-angeles

Former Kaplan and Grockit instructor, freelance GMAT content creator, now offering affordable, effective, Skype-tutoring for the GMAT at $150/hr. Contact: [email protected]

Thank you for all the "thanks" and "follows"! :-)

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by wasim4gmat » Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:32 pm
I think A is the answer.

Based on ur PREDICTION: - If bones were heated AFTER death, caused by natural phenomena, or if heat lasted span of 2000 years then cooled off.

A says -Other scientific research released two years before the expedition showed that the remote region of northern Canada underwent considerable warming in the past 100,000 years.

so uncovered skeletons were > 100000 years old and canada was facing onsiderable warming in the past 100,000 years.

Please correct me if I am wrong

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by sandy217 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:33 am
E is vague.
Why should i assume if humans use wood cutting tools and hunting tools , they will cook the hunted food.What if they consume it raw after hunting?

A cannot provide enough evidence about heat.

OA?

Followed by:2 members

by artistocrat » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:26 pm
For gunjan1208 I have edited my response as he makes a good point. At any rate, here is the Official GMAT question from which this question was clearly modeled:

In Swartkans territory archaeologists discovered charred bone fragments dating back 1 million years. Analysis of fragments, which came from a variety of animals, showed that they had been heated to temperatures no higher than those produced in experimental campfires made from branches of white stinkwood, the most common tree around swartkans.

Which of the foll, if true, would, together with the info above, provide the best basis for the claim that the charred bone fragments are evidence of the use of fire by early hominids?

a. The white stinkwood tree is used for building material by present-day inhabitants of swartkans
b. Forest fires can heat wood to a range of temperatures that occur in campfires
c. The bone fragments were fitted together by the archaeologists to form the complete skeleton of diff, animals
d. Apart from the Swartkans discovery, there is reliable evidence that early hominids used fire as many as 500,000 years ago
e. The bone fragments were found in several distinct layers of limestone that contained primitive cutting tools known to have been used by early hominids
Last edited by artistocrat on Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Followed by:6 members

by gunjan1208 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:14 pm
Well, I have to say a thing here. [Firstly, yes, the answer is E. And we are not assuming, we are giving a reasoning]

Second: A little touchy but I think I need to express myself.
Mr. Aristocrat:

You are the master of your choices. But I would request you not to generalize anything about the test prep companies. Since the forum is open, you should not criticize somebody this openly.
believe me that I am not anyone who is in the career of teaching. But the comments from experts are for helping us. Your comment is too discouraging for them. I respect each and everybody who is giving input to this forum. Even if it is small. Finally, if you have got the reasoning to say that test prep companies are distorting the facts, you can choose not to use them. However, for me, and may be for many others, they may be somebody to be regarded. Hope you will take this in the right spirit. Thank you for your understanding.

Also, would you please be able to explain what got diluted with the change in the question?

by artistocrat » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:40 am
Noted :-)

Legendary Member
Followed by:43 members
GMAT Score:640

by GmatKiss » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:53 pm
What is OA for original and the second one posted?

by artistocrat » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:04 pm
E for both.