From 480/ 660 to 710: Testing with 100% Extra Time

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members
* Note: Decided to post my story for those out there who decide to apply for 100% extra time accommodation as I didn't seem to find many success stories on the forum where the candidate had taken the GMAT under conditions similar to mine. And sorry it's so long!

My GMAT journey first started this past April. I had just recently finished a year-long contract teaching ESL in Korea, and I thought it would be a good time to take some time off to study for the GMAT. I also planned on applying for test accommodations and I knew that it would take about a month, if not longer, to receive notification of the decision.

APRIL - MAY: I got together the necessary documents I needed and applied for the 100% extra time. I also started studying, using beatthegmat's 60 Day Study Plan. Since I didn't know if I would be granted the extra time, I took the first GMATprep test under the "normal" conditions to find out my base score. I had a horrible experience as I ran out of time - lots of questions unanswered! - and ended up with a dismal 480. (I don't remember the exact breakdown between verbal and quantitative.) From this, I learned that a) I had horrible timing issues, and b) despite being an accounting major, my math skills were really, really bad - I am quite attached to my calculator and am lost without it.
Eager to revitalize my quantitative abilities, I stretched each day of the first 22 days of the 60 Day Study Plan into 44 days. (I took the weekends off to avoid letting the GMAT completely rule my life.) I went over every question, even the ones I got right, to see how I could/ should have solved for the answer. Some of the explanations in the OG 12 were difficult to understand, so I also used https://www.gmathacks.com/officialguide1 ... culty.html for an alternative explanation. I also logged every question in an error log and started timing every question just to get a feel for how long I was taking per question. After reading someone else's success story, I discovered this little gem (https://www.manhattangmat.com/ogc-plus.cfm) which tracks your answers as you do the OG problems and is able to provide data regarding percentage of right/ wrong and timing in the different GMAT topics. Unfortunately, I had already completed all of the OG questions by then, but it is something I would have definitely appreciated much earlier on to get a good analysis of my weak/ strong areas.

JUNE: In June, I finished studying for the quantitative section having used, Kaplan GMAT 2011 Premier Online, the OG 12, and the youtube video links in the 60 Day Study Plan. I retook the first GMATprep test again. As I still did not know if I would receive the accommodations, I took it under normal conditions. I scored a 580 (again, don't remember the breakdown between quantitative and verbal). This was much better than my first test, but I was still holding out hope for getting a better score should I be granted the 100% extra time as I was still unable to finish a good portion of the questions.
Luckily, during this month, I did receive confirmation that I had been granted 100% extra time. I had a slight panic in the beginning as the letter originally stated that I had to take the test before June 2011, and half the month had already passed by then. Luckily, a mistake had been made, and it turns out that you get 1 year from the date you receive your letter to take the test under the accommodations granted to you.

JULY: During July, I finished studying for the verbal section which I had started in June. I used MGMT SC, MGMT CR, Kaplan GMAT 2011 Premier Online (RC), OG 12 (SC, CR, RC), and the youtube video links in the 60 Day Study Plan (SC, CR, RC). At the beginning of the month, I also started trying to schedule my test date. It took a while to get a response, but eventually I got date for August 9th. In-between my test date I took three MGMT CATs. The first MGMT CAT I took was the first practice test I had taken where I actually used the 100% extra time, and so in a way, it was kind of my first real base score. I scored a 660 (Q39, V41). I realized that my math skills were still lacking, so I decided to focus on the quantitative section again until my test date. I had read good things about the rest of the MGMT books so I decided to use them. In the end, I was only able to read Number Properties, FDPs and Equations/ Inequalities/ VICs, but they were REALLY helpful. (I did take a week off at the end of July to go on vacation with my boyfriend, and I do regret not bringing along one of the books to study as I think I would have really benefited from getting through all of the math books.) I also took two more MGMT CATs and scored a 710 (Q47, V40) and 730 (Q45, V45). I was worried that my score was getting better was because I was learning strategy how to do MGMT tests well rather than learning GMAT strategy. (I don't know if this makes any sense, but hopefully you get what I mean...) However, as MGMT CATs are the only ones I found that let me change the time settings to match the real test conditions I'd be using, I felt those were the best to predict my score. (For the AWA section, I hit the "pause" button on the test and used the computer accessory "notepad" and an egg timer; MGMT CATs can't change the time for the essays.)

G-Day (Saw someone else use this term and I thought it was cute): I was woken up by a call at 10:00AM by a representative from the Pearson Vue Office telling me that I had to be at the testing center at 9:30AM. I was incredibly confused because a) the time they were telling me was half an hour ago, and b) my test was supposed to be August 9th, the next day. It turned out that a mistake had been made and I had been told the wrong information regarding my testing situation. Apparently, with 100% extra time accommodation, the test is split into two parts over two days: AWA/ quantitative and verbal. Disoriented, I grabbed a taxi as soon as possible and raced down to the testing center. Luckily, I was not docked any time for being late, but I was rather upset at not being informed of the mistake in advance.

Overall, while I feel like I could have done a better job had I been properly informed, I am still really happy with my score. I am a bit wary of my AWA score as I know one of my essays is not very good, but I am hoping the other essay evens out the score.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:760

by jaymw » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:54 am
Apparently, with 100% extra time accommodation, the test is split into two parts over two days: AWA/ quantitative and verbal. Disoriented, I grabbed a taxi as soon as possible and raced down to the testing center. Luckily, I was not docked any time for being late, but I was rather upset at not being informed of the mistake in advance.
Are you saying that you actually DID take AWA and Q+V on two different days?

Apart from that, congrats on your great score and all the best for the apps!

by Kimjoohui » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:47 am
jaymw wrote: Are you saying that you actually DID take AWA and Q+V on two different days?

Whoops! Should have clarified that better. On Monday, the first day, I had to do AWA and quantitative. Today, the second day, I did verbal and trial questions for the integrated reasoniing section to be introduced in 2012.

Legendary Member
Followed by:21 members

by pemdas » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:23 am
is it possible at all? if you had two days split for the GMAT sections, then apparently you had time-break advantage upon other test takers who are to be given not more than 8-minute break between quantitative and verbal sections.
Kimjoohui wrote:
jaymw wrote: Are you saying that you actually DID take AWA and Q+V on two different days?

Whoops! Should have clarified that better. On Monday, the first day, I had to do AWA and quantitative. Today, the second day, I did verbal and trial questions for the integrated reasoniing section to be introduced in 2012.
Success doesn't come overnight!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:760

by jaymw » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:51 am
Kimjoohui wrote:

Wow! It's the first I hear of anything like that happening. Just let me get this straight: You were under the impression of having to take the entire GMAT today, but the test center people called you yesterday and told you to split the test?

As pemdas said, this can't be right and even though I have never read GMAC's fineprint this can't be the way they want their test centers to act.

Was it actually possible to register for the GMAT on two different days? If they still use the same registration system then I don't see any way how this could possibly work.

Very interesting!

Legendary Member
Followed by:53 members

by Frankenstein » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:47 am
Hi,
Congrats on your score and good luck with your apps!
You must be lucky to get such an unrealistic opportunity. Hope you take full advantage of your fortune in the pursuit of MBA.
Cheers!

Things are not what they appear to be... nor are they otherwise

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:45 am
someone directed me to this thread via pm.

... so, there's one key detail that's missing here, and it's unbelievable that no one has asked yet: why were you awarded the extra time? what sort of documentation/condition/history/etc. did you have in order to qualify for such an indulgent testing setup?

i know that GMAC is ... let's just say ... not known for being bounteous in handing out accommodations, so you must have had some pretty special circumstances to qualify for this sort of thing. (i've never been acquainted with a student who has received more than 1.5x time -- and that student had a documented brain lesion *and* was turned down the first time he requested extra time.)
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by pm » Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:54 am
Woah. Never Heard extra time on GMAT! Can Eric look into this ?

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by lunarpower » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:11 am
pm wrote:Woah. Never Heard extra time on GMAT! Can Eric look into this ?
on all u.s. standardized tests, *some* students are generally allotted extra time. however, those students generally need a medical / psychophysiological justification that is certified by a physician, psychiatrist, or other professional. (i.e., it's not handed out to random students.)
students usually won't get the extra time unless their disability has a substantial history, too. i.e., if you get a doctor to write you a note but your disability isn't indicated in any previous correspondence, then, in most cases, forget it.

generally, GMAC is very conservative about giving extra time -- see my comment above, about a student who had an active brain lesion yet whose first request was still denied (!!).
that's why i'm asking how the OP got the extra time. if GMAC really gave her double time, her case must be an exceptional one indeed.

--

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

by sss2534 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:35 am
"Trying to squash a rumor is like trying to unring a bell"

This post borders on the ridiculous -- someone is just posting stuff to get attention. There is no way GMAT would risk losing all credibility by awarding extra time under *MOST* circumstances. There is absolutely no way a solid company like GMAC will open themselves up for law suits from students, test prep companies and business schools. GMAC is run by a lot of smart people -- they will know better than to slide down this slippery slope.

I hope the moderator deletes this thread. There is little to be gained by starting rumors such as this. But a lot can be lost - so many students are working so hard and preparing for the GMAT -- the last thing they need is to see something like this and be easily influenced by it.

Finally -- these types of posts are an insult to those who have worked their *tail* off to get into the 700 club. The GMAT is conquered by hard work and practice (and of course some luck) -- not by applying for extra time or using loopholes or *gaming* the system.

by sss2534 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:11 am
lunarpower wrote:
pm wrote:Woah. Never Heard extra time on GMAT! Can Eric look into this ?
on all u.s. standardized tests, *some* students are generally allotted extra time. however, those students generally need a medical / psychophysiological justification that is certified by a physician, psychiatrist, or other professional. (i.e., it's not handed out to random students.)
students usually won't get the extra time unless their disability has a substantial history, too. i.e., if you get a doctor to write you a note but your disability isn't indicated in any previous correspondence, then, in most cases, forget it.

True..But allotting extra time is more common in exams like SATs, ACTs, PSATs etc. It's *extraordinarily rare* on graduate level tests like LSAT, MCAT and GMAT. Plus if someone can score a 480 in real time -- *highly unlikely* to be given extra time. If anything GMAC will allow longer breaks between sections. Because GMAT is available in countries outside the US --- I think we can reasonably expect the restrictions to be even tighter.

by Kimjoohui » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:20 am
I DID receive 100% extra time on the GMAT, and I'm incredibly offended that someone would state that I created this lie in an effort to harm other people's GMAT experience. As stated in my original post, I wrote about my situation because of a lack of information about what actually happens if you receive 100% extra time (i.e. the test being split into two days). In searching google/ beatthegmat, I did find some posts from people asking for advice about how to study for the GMAT with 100% time accommodation (i.e. what CATs to use that allow for this time change). However, I did not see many posts regarding one's total experience with the GMAT, so I thought I'd share my story to help people in a similar circumstance as myself.

As someone else stated, the GMAT regulations are very difficult for obtaining 100% extra time. This is why I called the disability services several times to double and triple check that I had the correct paperwork and was doing all I needed to prove my situation. Although I can't state exactly why I was granted the time accommodation and others were not, I think a main reason I was accepted had to do with my ability to show a long standing history of my psychological problem and how it has impacted my academic career as well as my daily life. I had a strong letter of recommendation (abiding by DSM-IV regulations) from a psychologist who has aided me throughout my life with my affliction, as well as evidence of similar testing accomodations granted to me during my time at university.

Further, as stated in my original post, I was unemployed for four and a half months for the sole purpose of studying for the GMAT. I studied 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. I was not simply relying on the extra time for an easy pass. I knew that my psychological problem would hinder me greatly on the test, and that even with extra time, I would need a lot of practice to figure out the best strategy to deal with my affliction.

Honestly, if I could give you my psychological problem so that you, sss2534, could take the GMAT with the extra time you so badly want, I would. I really wish I did not have the health issue that I currently deal with and must deal with for the rest of my life. As mentioned above, it does not just impact my academic career, but my day to day life. It impacts my relationships, the amount of work I can handle at my past job, simple tasks such as going grocery shopping, etc. Most people just think that I'm just really slow/ "quirky", but it is much more than that. When I apply for jobs/ schools/ meet new people in the future, this is something I have to explain everytime. It is not something I enjoy, as I find my affliction to be an embarrassment. However, I was willing to post about my experience because a) the anonymity this forum allows and b) I really wanted to help others out there in a similar condition to mine so they may prepare to the best of their ability. If I continue to receive negative posts calling me a liar, a cheat, etc. I will delete my post and my account as I do not wish to be subjected to such treatment. I do not need the added stress of name calling.

by Kimjoohui » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:35 am
jaymw wrote: As pemdas said, this can't be right and even though I have never read GMAC's fineprint this can't be the way they want their test centers to act.

Was it actually possible to register for the GMAT on two different days? If they still use the same registration system then I don't see any way how this could possibly work.

Very interesting!
I was just as confused about my test being split into two days, as everything up to that point made it seem like I was going to be at a testing center for eight hours, which included an hour long lunch break. The letter I received from the GMAT disability center stated this as did the representative from the Pearson Vue office I spoke to when scheduling my test. I received a confirmation letter stating the test date as Tuesday, August 9th; no other dates were mentioned. So I was incredibly confused when I received the call telling me I had to be at the test center a half hour ago the day before I was scheduled to take the test. At the testing center, I was assured that they had checked and double checked GMAC policy, and splitting the test over two days is apparently the norm when 100% extra time is granted.

by sss2534 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:15 am
I apologize for my earlier post in light of your last post. I wish you the best -- I would not have ordinarily said anything had you initially disclosed the reason behind the 100% extra time. My gut reaction was, upon reading your first post, that you implied that people could just petition the GMAC and apply for extra time and ace the test. The full context was not clearly presented. In the absence of "context" -- many people will read a post like that and assume that some people can just apply for extra time. As is -- there are plenty of rumors making the rounds -- such as tests in China, Korea and India have harder quant questions, or that GMAT tests taken during certain times of the month or year are easier/harder. Most of these rumors are senseless but I have met enough people who swear by them.

Your post would be immensely beneficial to people if you disclose your circumstances that led to the extra time (without context -- it's not helpful). I am sure there are many people around the world who would greatly benefit from reading something like this -- knowing that there is a process in place to get some extra help.

Again, in light of your recent post -- my sincere apologies. I don't begrudge your success in any way, shape or form. In fact I think it's very admirable what you have achieved. Good luck to you.

Kimjoohui wrote:I DID receive 100% extra time on the GMAT, and I'm incredibly offended that someone would state that I created this lie in an effort to harm other people's GMAT experience. As stated in my original post, I wrote about my situation because of a lack of information about what actually happens if you receive 100% extra time (i.e. the test being split into two days). In searching google/ beatthegmat, I did find some posts from people asking for advice about how to study for the GMAT with 100% time accommodation (i.e. what CATs to use that allow for this time change). However, I did not see many posts regarding one's total experience with the GMAT, so I thought I'd share my story to help people in a similar circumstance as myself.

As someone else stated, the GMAT regulations are very difficult for obtaining 100% extra time. This is why I called the disability services several times to double and triple check that I had the correct paperwork and was doing all I needed to prove my situation. Although I can't state exactly why I was granted the time accommodation and others were not, I think a main reason I was accepted had to do with my ability to show a long standing history of my psychological problem and how it has impacted my academic career as well as my daily life. I had a strong letter of recommendation (abiding by DSM-IV regulations) from a psychologist who has aided me throughout my life with my affliction, as well as evidence of similar testing accomodations granted to me during my time at university.

Further, as stated in my original post, I was unemployed for four and a half months for the sole purpose of studying for the GMAT. I studied 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. I was not simply relying on the extra time for an easy pass. I knew that my psychological problem would hinder me greatly on the test, and that even with extra time, I would need a lot of practice to figure out the best strategy to deal with my affliction.

Honestly, if I could give you my psychological problem so that you, sss2534, could take the GMAT with the extra time you so badly want, I would. I really wish I did not have the health issue that I currently deal with and must deal with for the rest of my life. As mentioned above, it does not just impact my academic career, but my day to day life. It impacts my relationships, the amount of work I can handle at my past job, simple tasks such as going grocery shopping, etc. Most people just think that I'm just really slow/ "quirky", but it is much more than that. When I apply for jobs/ schools/ meet new people in the future, this is something I have to explain everytime. It is not something I enjoy, as I find my affliction to be an embarrassment. However, I was willing to post about my experience because a) the anonymity this forum allows and b) I really wanted to help others out there in a similar condition to mine so they may prepare to the best of their ability. If I continue to receive negative posts calling me a liar, a cheat, etc. I will delete my post and my account as I do not wish to be subjected to such treatment. I do not need the added stress of name calling.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by lunarpower » Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:32 pm
sss2534, you have the ability to go back and edit posts. in this case, you should probably go back and edit (as in "erase everything") your old post.

in any case, i don't want to belabor this discussion much further, but here are three relevant points:

1)
Your post would be immensely beneficial to people if you disclose your circumstances that led to the extra time (without context -- it's not helpful).
you wrote this after the OP had already mentioned a longstanding psychological disability; that is already plenty of context.
if you don't have a longstanding psychological disability, then the situation becomes irrelevant; if you do, then the respectful thing to do is to send a private message.

2)
I am sure there are many people around the world who would greatly benefit from reading something like this -- knowing that there is a process in place to get some extra help.
the existence of these accommodations is displayed prominently on the mba.com website:
https://www.mba.com/the-gmat/schedule-a- ... lable.aspx

note that extra time is the item at the very top of the list of possible accommodations.

3)
if you are in the market for an MBA, you should think very carefully about the violations of common-sense etiquette in this post. for starters, (1) flat-out accusing someone of lying about a potentially sensitive topic, (2) stating with apparent certainly that gmac would *never* do xxxxxxx when a simple google search for "gmat extra time" would have revealed the opposite, and (3) asking for more detail when someone has mentioned a debilitating psychological ailment.

remember that an MBA is a *business* degree, and that business is a field that is based almost entirely in people's relationships with other people.
this post isn't going to affect your reputation or career because it's anonymous, but i can guarantee that any sort of rant like the one above (which you'll hopefully edit/delete), in a context where people know you and deal with you, will absolutely kill your reputation and career. this has been true for as long as people have been doing business, of course, but it's even more true now that the internet preserves careless words forever and ever.
so, there are a lot of unwritten rules of etiquette that the business world follows; in this thread, you've basically broken every single one of them.

in addition, yes, you issued an apology -- which the OP probably appreciates -- but, even in that apology, you were still (a) blaming the OP for your lack of comprehension (you told her "the full context was not clearly presented") AND (b) pressing for further details about a sensitive subject.
if you don't understand why the things above are etiquette violations -- and if you don't understand the proper avenues of (1) asking for clarification, (2) knowing when it's ok and not ok to ask further questions about personal topics, and (3) using google to find relevant stories and/or empirical data more easily -- then you should think long and hard about whether you really want to enter a field like business management, which is based mostly, if not entirely, on building and maintaining relationships.

--

--

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron