CR Unknown Source Gmat Club Forums , Issue is not the OA

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
Identical twins tend to have similar personalities; if environment outweighs heredity in personality development, twins raised together should presumably have more similar personalities than those raised apart. A recent study of identical twins in both situations measured 11 key traits through a questionnaire, and concluded that 7 of the 11 are primarily products of heredity.

Which of the following, if established, would cast the most doubt on the study's results?

(A) Fewer than half of the pairs of twins studied were raised separately.
(B) The ages of all of the twins studied fell within a 10-year range.
(C) Some of the traits that the study attributed to heredity developed in the separately raised twins because those pairs all grew up in similar families.
(D) Although over half the traits measured were determined to be linked to heredity, the nature of those traits varied widely.
(E) The 11 traits that were measured constitute a representative sample of larger, generally accepted pool of key personality traits.

Could someone paraphrase the conclusion for me ? What is the argument here ?
What is meant by " measured 11 key traits through a questionnaire " and " 7 of the 11 are primarily products of heredity " ?
I Seek Explanations Not Answers

Legendary Member
Followed by:33 members
GMAT Score:710

by bblast » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:50 am
mundasingh123 wrote:Identical twins tend to have similar personalities; if environment outweighs heredity in personality development, twins raised together should presumably have more similar personalities than those raised apart. A recent study of identical twins in both situations measured 11 key traits through a questionnaire, and concluded that 7 of the 11 are primarily products of heredity.

Which of the following, if established, would cast the most doubt on the study's results?

(C) Some of the traits that the study attributed to heredity developed in the separately raised twins because those pairs all grew up in similar families.

Could someone paraphrase the conclusion for me ? What is the argument here ?
What is meant by " measured 11 key traits through a questionnaire " and " 7 of the 11 are primarily products of heredity " ?
hello,
1>The argument first raises a condition of environmental effects on twins.
2>Then it tells us that in a study comprising 11 factors(11 questions) , 7 out of 11 factors were showed to have been affected by genes(hereditary) and were not dependent on environment.
This is the conclusion that ( hereditary > environmental effect )

we are asked to weaken this. Option C does that - "it faults the statistic " - suppose 3/7 of the 11 traits which went to hereditary were actually influenced by environmental factors (similar conditions in the 2 families); then these 3 factors actually belong to environmental, thus the final score is :
environment - 7
hereditary - 4

Lemme know if u need further break up of this.
Cheers !!

Quant 47-Striving for 50
Verbal 34-Striving for 40

My gmat journey :
https://www.beatthegmat.com/710-bblast-s ... 90735.html
My take on the GMAT RC :
https://www.beatthegmat.com/ways-to-bbla ... 90808.html
How to prepare before your MBA:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upz46D7 ... TWBZF14TKW_