Please evaluate my profile

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Please evaluate my profile

by mbaaspirant_nn » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:32 am
Hello,

Can someone please help me to evaluate my profile and let me know if I have a good chance to get into either INSEAD or Harvard Business School?

GMAT (second time): 700 (Q: 50; V: 34; AWA not yet out but scored 5.0 on my first GMAT attempt)
My quant score is above average (92 percentile) but I understand that my Verbal score of GMAT is not above 75 percentile (it is 69 percentile). What should I do to overcome my low Verbal low score (as I am not planning to take GMAT again)?

Education: Bachelor of Engineering in Computer Science (4 years) from India; GPA: approx 3.7

Work Experience: Full time work experience of 8 years in financial technologies. Currently, I am working for a leading financial services organization in USA as a Financial technology team lead. But, I want to make a career switch from financial technology consulting to a strategic management consulting.

Extracurricular activities: Community service, music and sports

I am an Asian and 29 years old.
If not into the above two, do I stand a better chance for MIT Sloan, NYU Stern, Yale, Cornell, Ross or NUS, Singapore?
Please let me know if any additional information is needed.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:14 am
Dear mbaaspirant_nm,

I think it is possible you could be admitted to either HBS or INSEAD with a stellar application package. You will need to distinguish your application from similar applicants and make a compelling case for admission. Nevertheless, it is always advisable to have an appropriate mix of schools if your priority is to be in business school. HBS and INSEAD are both highly selective, so you want to have 2-3 programs where your profile is at or above average and at least 1 true safety school. The other schools you note are all pretty selective, so I encourage you to widen your net and research some programs with strong ties to consulting, GMAT averages at/below 700, and higher selectivity percentages. Your essays and interview will show your verbals skills, but it would also be helpful to have your recommenders reinforce your communication skills.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me