MBA or Masters in Business

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

MBA or Masters in Business

by himanshuag » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:08 am
Hi,

I am an engineering student from India currently in my final year of engineering, with chemistry as my major.
I am a student of an elite Indian engineering college, and I recently appeared for GMAT.
I scored 740 (V39, Q50), I have been actively a member of various societies at my college level and i have been part of teams that have represented my college at international level.

I was planning to apply for programs like HBS 2+2, Stanford deferred and some other similar programs but recently I stumbled across the masters in management program offered by some elite European business schools, such as London Business school, Emlyon etc.
As the websites of these universities describe this program, it is designed for fresh college passouts like me, but I really don't understand the difference between MBA and Masters in Management and what prospects this program has to offer?

I would really appreciate if someone could please shed some light on the difference between the two and what prospects one has if one gets enrolled in this program.

Regards
Himanshu

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:08 am
Dear Himanshu,

I think you will find answers to these questions by researching the master's in management (MIM) programs and comparing them to a traditional MBA program. You will want to evaluate curriculum, resources, career services and placement, and student profiles to gain an understanding of the differences. While you might find many similarities between the two options, you will find some differences if the targeted student for the MIM program is earlier in his/her career than the average MBA student. Likewise, you need to ask yourself whether or not you feel you would benefit from entering a graduate business program after working for a couple of years (and thus bringing those experiences and perspective with you).

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by himanshuag » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:47 pm
Thank you Lisa for the reply, well the main question in my mind is that will a person who does MIM and work for few years afterwards have same standing/value as a person with MBA and same years of experience?

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:36 am
There is really not a definitive answer to your question as how you determine the "value" is up for debate. Your perceived value in the marketplace amongst prospective employers is based on more than a degree plus number of years experience. Generally speaking, the main determinant of your career trajectory is you--your efforts on your job search, your performance in your positions, and your effectiveness at networking. When deciding which degree makes sense for you, you have to decide at what point in your career is the right time, does one degree have a better curriculum for your career goals, and does one degree seem to be preferred by your desired industry.

Regards,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me