what are the chances of probability coming up?

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi All,
Dont know if anyone can help..

I have 1 week to go until my exam and i am aiming for 700.
My quant scores in practice tests have been in the right ballpark (44-45), however I just took a prep test and scored 41, the test contained 3 or 4 probability questions.

Do you think it is worth investing time in the next week on probability, or am i unlikely to see more than one or two on the real thing?

I get the distinct impression that the test prep companies throw a lot of probability in to their courses just to pad them out... sorry if i am being too cynical!

Really appreciate any comments, particularly experts.

thanks!
Fred

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by fraser duncan » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:49 am
Sorry i should have said that due to time constraints i have not studied probablity thus far.
I have taken the GMAT once before and i didnt see ANY probability questions. This is part of the reason i removed them from my study plan.
thanks!
Fred

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by sss2534 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:44 pm
fraser duncan wrote:Sorry i should have said that due to time constraints i have not studied probablity thus far.
I have taken the GMAT once before and i didnt see ANY probability questions. This is part of the reason i removed them from my study plan.
thanks!
Fred
The good news about probability is that you only need to know a couple of formulas and concepts to tackle most of the questions effectively. If you look at the OG and the GMAT Prep questions -- you will notice a few probability questions and most of them are not that difficult.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:18 members

by FutureWorks » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:00 am
Hi Fred

Firstly we would say that stay positive and such anxieties are common during exam preparation time. However we recommend you to keep taking practise tests to gauge your performance. It will help you in identifying your weak areas and you can focus on them accordingly.

There are various ways you can use to practise for your GMAT. You might need to change your practise style and try this combination to provide you flexibility and different styles to practise so it doesn't get monotonous.

It could be combination of-

1-Books- Books like- The Official Guide for GMAT Review, The Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review, The Official Guide for GMAT Quantitative Review etc could be used.

2-Online Study Guide: Websites like Knewton, Grockit etc provide you with practise questions online.

3-Smart phone applications- Kaplan, Veritas etc offer applications to prepare for GMAT on your smart phones.

Find out where you stand with our Free Assessment Test or drop your resume at [email protected]