Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Evaluation, Please

by Spring598 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:05 am
Hello,

27/Male/White

Education

Undergrad: Small second/third tier private university in New Jersey (2002- January, 2007), Business Administration with a concentration in Finance
GPA: Overall: 3.47, Finance: 3.67 (Last two years: 3.93 overall)
I spent an additional semester at school because I had a season of cross country eligibility.

Graduate: Washington University in St. Louis (2008-2009), One year Master of Science in Finance program
GPA: 3.48

GMAT - 710, Q: 47, V: 42

Work Experience

6 months with a fund administration firm as a financial analyst performing middle office duties, 1 year of graduate studies in a highly intense and quantitative masters in finance program and 13 months (current job) with a non-profit, life insurer as a Credit Research Analyst performing analysis on investment grade/high yield bond offerings and providing written and/or verbal recommendations to my portfolio manager and, at times, Chief Investment Officer and Investment Committee.

Extracurriculars

Member (partial athletic scholarship) of my university's division 1 cross country, indoor track and field and outdoor track and field teams
Spent three summers during college as a senior counselor at a summer camp on Long Island, NY associated with a well-known charter school in Harlem, NY
English and Math tutor (current) at a charter school in the NY/CT area. By the time I apply, I will have a year an a half under my belt

I joined a small hedge fund/private equity administration (middle office outsourcing) firm upon graduation in January and left after six months (July 2007) because I wanted something more quantitative. I left without securing another job (a huge mistake that I find difficult to explain) and was unable to find another job due to the impending recession. Right around February 2008, I decided that graduate school would be a better option given the job environment and began studying for the GMAT and researching programs. I ultimately decided on Wash U's program due to its strong reputation and highly quantitative curriculum and enrolled in the one year, full-time program in July 2008. Upon graduation, I found the job market to be even more challenging than it had been around the time I was researching program. I then spent August 2009-May 2010 applying and interviewing for jobs and eventually accepted a position in May 2010.

I apologize for the barrage of information, but it's difficult to frame my concerns without providing a somewhat detailed history. As I am sure you can tell, my greatest challenges are explaining my spotty, and lean, job history, framing my poor decisions (leaving my first job after six months) in such a way that does not make me look like a complete flake and helping the admissions committee understand and eventually get past my two prolonged stretches of unemployment. Clearly, my school list is lofty; thus, I am concerned that my unstructured background will preclude me from gaining admission to these schools. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Goal: Secure an associate position with an investment bank in a debt capital markets group.

Target Schools:

Duke
Dartmouth
NYU
Columbia
Cornell
MIT

Thank you!

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:41 am
Dear Spring 598,

Your assessment of your profile is fairly accurate; your concerns will be the admission committees' concerns. Thus you must use your application package to assuage those concerns and show that an MBA (at this time) is the next step for you. Your essays and recommendations (not to mention interviews) will be critical in your admissions strategy. If you have the resources, you might find working with a consultant helpful in crafting the best strategy to present your background in the most positive light. Finally, I think you should apply to some of the schools on your list; however, I also think you need to identify and apply to some solid programs that are not as selective, yet still have strong ties to the investment bank community.

Best of luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me