Aristotle SC question bank 9

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:720

Aristotle SC question bank 9

by vineeshp » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:19 pm
Indonesia's Mount Merapi volcano has killed 191 people since it began erupting late last
month, leading to the declaration of an emergency in the country.

A. has killed 191 people since it began erupting late last month, leading
to the declaration of an emergency in the country
B. killed 191 people since it began erupting late last month, leading to the
declaration of an emergency in the country.
C. has killed 191 people since it began erupting late last month, which has lead
to the declaration of an emergency in the country.
D. had killed 191 people since it began erupting late last month, leading to the
E. has been killing 191 people since it began erupting late last month, leading to
the declaring of an emergency in the country.

OA IS A and I agree.
My question: In each of the options, the subject who declared the emergency is missing. Is this ok?
Vineesh,
Just telling you what I know and think. I am not the expert. :)

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:22 members
GMAT Score:780

by SticklorForDetails » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:20 pm
vineeshp wrote:Indonesia's Mount Merapi volcano has killed 191 people since it began erupting late last

C. has killed 191 people since it began erupting late last month, which has lead
D. had killed 191 people since it began erupting late last month, leading to the
E. has been killing 191 people since it began erupting late last month, leading to

OA IS A and I agree.
My question: In each of the options, the subject who declared the emergency is missing. Is this ok?
Yes, as "declaration" is a noun. Only verbs need subjects. Sentences, on the GMAT and elsewhere, can be (somewhat) incomplete in meaning, because they would exist as part of a bigger paragraph with more info, so you don't need to worry about EVERY logical hole being filled, just the ones that relate to SC rules like Comparisons and Pronouns -- and, of course, the rules of grammar. The only verbs here are "has been killing" (subject = "volcano") and "began" (subject = "it"). No other verbs exist to require subjects.
Experienced tutors, customized study plans, personalized service.

www.GothamTutors.com/adam.html

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by need720+ » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:38 pm
Hi SticklorForDetails,

I am confused between options A and B. Do we need 'has' as used in A? Isn't it apparent from "since it began erupting late last month" that this activity started last month and still going on?

I am confused. Please help.

Thanks.

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

by mundasingh123 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:15 am
SticklorForDetails wrote:
vineeshp wrote:Indonesia's Mount Merapi volcano has killed 191 people since it began erupting late last

OA IS A and I agree.
Yes, as "declaration" is a noun. Only verbs need subjects. Sentences, on the GMAT and elsewhere, can be (somewhat) incomplete in meaning, because they would exist as part of a bigger paragraph with more info, so you don't need to worry about EVERY logical hole being filled, just the ones that relate to SC rules like Comparisons and Pronouns -- and, of course, the rules of grammar. The only verbs here are "has been killing" (subject = "volcano") and "began" (subject = "it"). No other verbs exist to require subjects.
Hi Sticklor, Whats the difference between A and E . A uses the present perfect and E uses present perfect progressive
I Seek Explanations Not Answers

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members

by aspirant2011 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:36 am
mundasingh123 wrote:

OA IS A and I agree.
Hi Sticklor, Whats the difference between A and E . A uses the present perfect and E uses present perfect progressive
E is awkward and it changes the intended meaning of the sentence...........sentence says since it began i.e time from which it began so what has it done not what is it doing

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members

by aspirant2011 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:38 am
need720+ wrote:Hi SticklorForDetails,

I am confused between options A and B. Do we need 'has' as used in A? Isn't it apparent from "since it began erupting late last month" that this activity started last month and still going on?

I am confused. Please help.

Thanks.
with since you are supposed to use verb form of has/have, therefore B is wrong

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

by mundasingh123 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:40 am
aspirant2011 wrote:
mundasingh123 wrote:

OA IS A and I agree.
E is awkward and it changes the intended meaning of the sentence...........sentence says since it began i.e time from which it began so what has it done not what is it doing
The use of Pres. Perf. Prog. implies that the action started in the past , continues into the present and into the future . The only reason for eliminating E is that The GMAT prefers simpler tenses
I Seek Explanations Not Answers

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by nityag » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:10 am
Is the answer 'A'??