700+ Man Question

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:700

700+ Man Question

by chaitanya.mehrotra » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:41 am
A recent research study of undergraduate students analyzed the effects of music on human emotions. Each of the 200 participants attended at least 1 two-hour concert of classical music per week over the course of 12 weeks of their spring semester. At the end of the experiment, all of the students filled out a questionnaire assessing their emotional state. Based on the results of the questionnaires, all of the 10 students who attended the greatest number of concerts reported lower stress levels and higher satisfaction with their lives. Also, most of the 20 students who attended the fewest number of concerts reported below-average levels of emotional comfort.

Which of the following must be true based on the evidence presented above?

a) Most of the 200 participants improved their emotional state and lowered their stress levels.

b) During each week of the experiment, the participants spent at least 2 hours less on their academic work as a result of concert attendance.

c) Listening to classical music for at least 2 hours per week improves the emotional well-being of the majority of young adults.

d) More than 6 participants attended at least 14 concerts during the course of the experiment.

e) At least some of the students participated in the study in order to gain free access to classical concerts.

OA after some discussion

Legendary Member
Followed by:43 members
GMAT Score:640

by GmatKiss » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:14 am
IMO: C

Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:610

by singh181 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:15 am
chaitanya.mehrotra wrote:A recent research study of undergraduate students analyzed the effects of music on human emotions. Each of the 200 participants attended at least 1 two-hour concert of classical music per week over the course of 12 weeks of their spring semester. At the end of the experiment, all of the students filled out a questionnaire assessing their emotional state. Based on the results of the questionnaires, all of the 10 students who attended the greatest number of concerts reported lower stress levels and higher satisfaction with their lives. Also, most of the 20 students who attended the fewest number of concerts reported below-average levels of emotional comfort.

a) Most of the 200 participants improved their emotional state and lowered their stress levels. Initial emotional state and stress level not discussed. So, We Cannt Infer

b) During each week of the experiment, the participants spent at least 2 hours less on their academic work as a result of concert attendance. academic work not discussed

c) Listening to classical music for at least 2 hours per week improves the emotional well-being of the majority of young adults.Very Specific conclusion. We are interested in Human emotions

d) More than 6 participants attended at least 14 concerts during the course of the experiment. Correct

e) At least some of the students participated in the study in order to gain free access to classical concerts. purpose not discussed

OA after some discussion
IMO D

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:680

by DhruvXVII » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:05 pm
IMO D
OA please.

Legendary Member
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:700

by bubbliiiiiiii » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:52 am
chaitanya.mehrotra wrote:A recent research study of undergraduate students analyzed the effects of music on human emotions. Each of the 200 participants attended at least 1 two-hour concert of classical music per week over the course of 12 weeks of their spring semester. At the end of the experiment, all of the students filled out a questionnaire assessing their emotional state. Based on the results of the questionnaires, all of the 10 students who attended the greatest number of concerts reported lower stress levels and higher satisfaction with their lives. Also, most of the 20 students who attended the fewest number of concerts reported below-average levels of emotional comfort.

a) Most of the 200 participants improved their emotional state and lowered their stress levels.
This statement says that more than 90% of students (referring to word MOST) have improved their emotional state which cannot be properly concluded from the premise.

b) During each week of the experiment, the participants spent at least 2 hours less on their academic work as a result of concert attendance.
Time management of students is not discussed in passage.

c) Listening to classical music for at least 2 hours per week improves the emotional well-being of the majority of young adults.
This statement tries to conclude something if students visit atleast 2 hours per week but the argument states results based on if a student visits atleast 1 hour per week. Thus Eliminate.

d) More than 6 participants attended at least 14 concerts during the course of the experiment.

e) At least some of the students participated in the study in order to gain free access to classical concerts.
Charges or student's interest with respect to classical music concerts is not discussed in the argument. This eliminate.

OA after some discussion
Regards,

Pranay

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by [email protected] » Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:05 am
OA please!!!!
IT IS TIME TO BEAT THE GMAT

LEARNING, APPLICATION AND TIMING IS THE FACT OF GMAT AND LIFE AS WELL... KEEP PLAYING!!!

Whenever you feel that my post really helped you to learn something new, please press on the 'THANK' button.

Followed by:1 members

by sk8legend408 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:28 am
bubbliiiiii,

If you look closely it says 1 two hour concert per week. This equates to two hours per week.

The answer must be C.

D is incorrect because nothing is mentioned regarding the number of visits to concerts by the 10 students who went to the most concerts. Additionally the requirement was to only go to one concert one time a week for 12 weeks. That equals 12 concert visits. Even if the 10 students met the requirement, they would only have had 12 visits and not 14. Therefore D cannot be inferred.

The rest of the answer choices can be eliminated besides C.

by tracyyahoo » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:14 am
I think it is C because it is clearly stated...

D, I don't think GMAC will test this concept...

However I think C is too easy to predict....

D requires calculation, but in CR, it doesn't need people to calculate, it should be objectively predicted by test takers..

Anyway, I think it is c because it is clearly what the article says.....

Followed by:3 members

by nileshdalvi » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:39 am
This is an amazing question. OA is D. But I feel that too is incorrect in a way that there is no upper bound. More than 6 can imply more than 10 too...Any opinion on this. C is clearly not inferrable.

by kanwar86 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:40 am

OA after some discussion
A and E are not supported anywhere in the given text.
Regarding D, We cannot infer from anywhere that more than 6 participants attended at least 14 concerts. In the argument, it has only been stated that:
1) 200 participants attended at least 1 two-hour concert of classical music per week over the course of 12 weeks of their spring semester.
2) All of the 10 students who attended the greatest number of concerts reported lower stress levels and higher satisfaction with their lives
3) most of the 20 students who attended the fewest number of concerts reported below-average levels of emotional comfort.

From 1), 200 participants attended 12 concerts.
From 2), there were 10 students who attended more than 12 concerts, which can be 13, 14 or may be more.
I am not able to find out why 14 or 14+ ( cannot go with D)
C) Listening to classical music for at least 2 hours per week improves the emotional well-being of the majority of young adults.
From 2) and 3), we only know the effect of music on some of the students. We cannot generalize the statement that the effect of music was beneficial to the majority or not. So, i cannot go for C either.

However, one fact is all these students did attend the 2 hour concert every week at least once. So, they did put 2 hours less in academic work. Hence, IMO the answer should be B)
Regards

Kanwar

"In case my post helped, do care to thank. Happy learning :)"

by nileshdalvi » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:45 am
@kanwar86: What if they attender concert after their colleges?..:)

by kanwar86 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:53 am
nileshdalvi wrote:@kanwar86: What if they attender concert after their colleges?..:)
Totally agree with you. This thought did pop up in my mind. But do you think academic work is limited to classes only? I was thinking academic work relates to whatever activity we do at hostel or at college pertaining to the academia. This implies, whatever be the reason, 2 hours are being consumed at concert which are not being applied academically in the case of students covered under research study.
Please correct me if i am wrong.
Regards

Kanwar

by nileshdalvi » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:00 am
I think even if you consider academic work as a broad thing spanning class assignments, tutions etc., there can still be other time in the day which students can spend on concert (2 hrs less sleep for example). It is impractical for academia to span for a day. So it cannot be convincingly said that those 2 hours come from academic work and not from sleep, play, free time etc.

by kanwar86 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:07 am
nileshdalvi wrote:I think even if you consider academic work as a broad thing spanning class assignments, tutions etc., there can still be other time in the day which students can spend on concert (2 hrs less sleep for example). It is impractical for academia to span for a day. So it cannot be convincingly said that those 2 hours come from academic work and not from sleep, play, free time etc.
Thanks @nileshdalvi. I see what you are saying here :). Anyways, i have posted an answer. Please tell me where i am going wrong regarding the evaluation of other options.
Regards

Kanwar

by nileshdalvi » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:22 am
Hi Kanwar,

As for D, my thinking also stopped at the same point as yours but this CR went too quant-wise than I thought. 20 students attended least which is 12. 10 attended greatest and rest 170 somewhere in between.
So those 170 must have attended atleast 13 if not more than that AND
the rest 10 with greatest must have attended atleast 14 if not more than that.

So they have concluded that 10(which is more than 6) must have attended atleast 14.

I still have the doubt that more than 6 does not have an upper bound and can easily be said to cross 10.

So the correct answer choice cannot be said to be 100% correct, imho.

For more info please refer:

https://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/a-r ... -t404.html