Kaplan 2009

Ask your questions about Kaplan products/services here
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Kaplan 2009

by tanyasethi » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:47 am
Hi,

I have the Kaplan 2009 book and CD. I've been doing those practice tests. I just wanted to know how the scores compare to today's real GMAT. I ask this because it has been a long time since then and I am sure there must be changes to improve your algorithm.
So if I score a 550 in the older tests, then will this score be anywhere near my actual GMAT or has the GMAT changed over the years? Will my scores be higher or lower on the actual test?
I know it depends on individual performance but approximately, how much difference will I see?
Please help. Thanks a ton!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:62 members

by KapTeacherEli » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:31 pm
tanyasethi wrote:Hi,

I have the Kaplan 2009 book and CD. I've been doing those practice tests. I just wanted to know how the scores compare to today's real GMAT. I ask this because it has been a long time since then and I am sure there must be changes to improve your algorithm.
So if I score a 550 in the older tests, then will this score be anywhere near my actual GMAT or has the GMAT changed over the years? Will my scores be higher or lower on the actual test?
I know it depends on individual performance but approximately, how much difference will I see?
Hi tanyasethi, we take pride in the quality of our CATs, but nothing beats the real thing--have you checked your performance on the official GMATprep tests from www.mba.com?
Eli Meyer
Kaplan GMAT Teacher
Cambridge, MA
www.kaptest.com/gmat

ImageImageImage

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

by mundasingh123 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:00 am
KapTeacherEli wrote:

Hi tanyasethi, we take pride in the quality of our CATs, but nothing beats the real thing--have you checked your performance on the official GMATprep tests from www.mba.com?
Also Eli could you please tell what would be the equivalent score today of a 550 on a Kaplan CAT in 2009 . Have you changed the kaplan CATS a lot .
I Seek Explanations Not Answers

by tanyasethi » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:10 am
KapTeacherEli wrote:

yes I have, they turned out to be a lot lower than the Kaplan Test scores, hence the concern

by tanyasethi » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:12 am
mundasingh123 wrote:
KapTeacherEli wrote:

Also Eli could you please tell what would be the equivalent score today of a 550 on a Kaplan CAT in 2009 . Have you changed the kaplan CATS a lot .
Yes, I would love it if you could give me a score..

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

by mundasingh123 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:23 am
tanyasethi wrote:
mundasingh123 wrote:
KapTeacherEli wrote:

Yes, I would love it if you could give me a score..
or better still a conversion formula
Kap2009 + () * ()=Kap2011
I Seek Explanations Not Answers

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:62 members

by KapTeacherEli » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:46 pm
Unfortunately, there isn't one. Some people claim to have an "accurate" conversion, but I've seen some people claim you should ad 50 points and others say you should take 50 away!

And unfortunately, with a practice exam there are simply too many human variable to ever get a truly perfect sense. Which students are taking the test seriously, and which are? Which are prepared for the stresses and challenges of test day, and which will find the real GMAT more mentally taxing than a practice exam?

Suffice to say, even on the GMATprep tests its hard to determine exactly how well they correlate to test-day performance. Use your practice tests to evaluate your relative strengths and weaknesses, and as a rough gauge of your progress. Don't use them as an augury of the future.

Good luck on your prep!
Eli Meyer
Kaplan GMAT Teacher
Cambridge, MA
www.kaptest.com/gmat

ImageImageImage

by tanyasethi » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:28 pm
Thank you Eli.