Statue of Liberty

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:730

Statue of Liberty

by coderversion1 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:21 am
According to his own account, Frederic-Auguste Bartholdi, the sculptor of the Statue of Liberty, modeled the face of the statue like his mother's and the body like his wife's.

(A) modeled the face of the statue like his mother's and the body like his wife's

(B) modeled the face of the statue after that of his mother and the body after that of his wife

(C) modeled the face of the statue like his mother and the body like his wife

(D) made the face of the statue after his mother and the body after his wife

(E) made the face of the statue look like his mother and the body look like his wife

OA Unknown.

Legendary Member
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:700

by bubbliiiiiiii » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:34 am
coderversion1 wrote:According to his own account, Frederic-Auguste Bartholdi, the sculptor of the Statue of Liberty, modeled the face of the statue like his mother's and the body like his wife's.

(A) modeled the face of the statue like his mother's and the body like his wife's

(B) modeled the face of the statue after that of his mother and the body after that of his wife

(E) made the face of the statue look like his mother and the body look like his wife

OA Unknown.
Regards,

Pranay

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members

by aspirant2011 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:26 am
coderversion1 wrote:According to his own account, Frederic-Auguste Bartholdi, the sculptor of the Statue of Liberty, modeled the face of the statue like his mother's and the body like his wife's.

(B) modeled the face of the statue after that of his mother and the body after that of his wife---- here that of represents face and body

OA Unknown.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:255 members
GMAT Score:750

by Brian@VeritasPrep » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:49 pm
If I'm not mistaken this question is from a pretty old version of the OG...

Just a quick note here - I think most would look at this as an idiomatic thing (modeled...after), but you can actually use pure logic and strategy here.

The use of "mother's" and "wife's" in A could apply the possessive to either "face" or "statue", so it's unclear.

In C and E, it's illogical (or at least less logical) that he'd make the FACE OF the statue look like his mother (not just her face) and the body look like his wife (not just her body).

And in D, there's the same error as in C/E, but the use of "after" without "that of" is also kind of confusing...did his mother make the face of the statue before he did? Or was she the model? Yeah, it's unidiomatic, but it's also really illogical and confusing.

I remember teaching this problem as an idiom problem back in like 2003 or so. If only I knew then what I know now... This one is perfectly logical if you think about it.
Brian Galvin
GMAT Instructor
Chief Academic Officer
Veritas Prep

Looking for GMAT practice questions? Try out the Veritas Prep Question Bank. Learn More.