should I care to pursue an MBA at this stage of my life?

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
I have a high GMAT score with a below average GPA. I have more than 8 years of experience as an engineer. I would like to break into consulting post-MBA.

However, after reading several posts, I feel like my age is a huge disadvantage. I am 31 and I plan to apply for Fall 2012. I will be almost 32 when I join my MBA next fall provided I get admitted to a top 30 MBA program.

Is 31 at the time of application and almost 32 when classes start make me an "older applicant".

I do not want to do an exec MBA since I want to break into consulting.

Thanks for the help.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:21 am
Dear dianemba,

Age is neither an advantage nor disadvantage in the MBA admissions process. It goes hand-in-hand with amount of experience which fits into the bigger picture of your rationale for an MBA at this point in your career. While being 32 at matriculation puts you on the higher end of the age/experience range for a full-time program, it does not equate to you being the oldest or too old. Most full-time programs generally seat a class with the range of experience being 0-12 years (give or take 2 yrs on either end). [please note: that is a generality on the range; schools vary year to year, and there is always the possibility for outliers on the high end] The main thing you want to be sure to convey through your essays and interviews is that the full-time program is the right program for you due to your desire to make a significant career change (and any other reasons you have).

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by dianemba » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:11 pm
thanks. Is an Europea MBA good to break into management consulting? Does Oxford have a good ranking to break into consulting. If not, what other schools should I consider.
Thanks again.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:56 pm
Yes, many graduates of European MBA programs have gone on to successful consulting careers. I encourage you to research any program you are considering to determine its ties to the consulting industry and its placement in the industry for the past few years.

Regards,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me